templates

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Stefan Koopmanschap

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap »

[quote56e90="emke"]We use Smarty. It's by far the best and most advanced template engine I've seen.

Can be found on: http://smarty.php.net/[/quote56e90]

i was just looking into that one. seems very nice, and I like the fact that it's customizable. do you know php FastTemplate? if so, how does smarty compare to that?

emke

Post by emke »

I'm familiar with FastTemplate but I've not used it as much as Smarty that I can compare the two and tell you what to choose. Sorry :wink:

Stefan Koopmanschap

[quotea6e70="emke"]I'm familiar with FastTemplate but I've not used it as much as Smarty that I can compare the two and tell you what to choose. Sorry :wink:[/quotea6e70]

no problem :)

it's just that looking through smarty i think it might just be a bit too big, too customizable, for our needs.

I'll give it a try on a few basic test-things and see how I like it :)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

The problem I see with Smarty is it's trying to do too much and in the process acts more like a mini-language parser than a templating engine ... the whole point of templates is separation of code from content yet Smarty introduces a pile of language constructs into the templating system, kind of at odds with it's intended function :D

Not that I'm saying Smarty is bad, far from it, it's really rather well done in general ... but that IMHO it tries to be 'too much'.

emke

Post by emke »

Smarty is advanced but I've used it for simpler tasks and it worked well. The speed is great and caching is a feature I liked a lot.

The thing is that it does take a while to get used to. :mrgreen:

Stefan Koopmanschap

ok, i just had a look at smarty. I don't think it'll fit our purpose of making life easier for our designers/html peeps

ok, TemplatePower so far looks quite good. need to look into phpLib and a few others though.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

There's always ours :D

Stefan Koopmanschap

[quoted375f="psoTFX"]There's always ours :D[/quoted375f]

well, I considered that but it's not really documented is it?

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

[quotebf57f="wanrecords"][quotebf57f="psoTFX"]There's always ours :D[/quotebf57f]

well, I considered that but it's not really documented is it?[/quotebf57f]

Not at the moment but we are planning a document for it :)

Its interface is very similar to phpLib templates (because we started with phpLib but found it was too slow for the amount of templates we had) so if you understand that interface you should have no problem moving to our template system.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
'On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero...' - Jack, Fight Club
http://www.thefinn.net

Stefan Koopmanschap

[quote832bb="theFinn"][quote832bb="wanrecords"][quote832bb="psoTFX"]There's always ours :D[/quote832bb]

well, I considered that but it's not really documented is it?[/quote832bb]

Not at the moment but we are planning a document for it :)

Its interface is very similar to phpLib templates (because we started with phpLib but found it was too slow for the amount of templates we had) so if you understand that interface you should have no problem moving to our template system.[/quote832bb]

hmmm...

well, I think TemplatePower will do nicely for now. maybe for my own sourceforge projects I might someday use the phpBB template engine.

and so far, I havent used phpLib. it seems quite similar to FastTemplate and TemplatePower though :)