Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 3 will be 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.1. If you need support for phpBB 3.1 please visit the 3.1.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
davidjames

Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

Post by davidjames » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 am

Hi All,

I am working on the gsoc proposal for Session Backend Abstraction. I have some questions about scope of this project.

I have identified following areas which comes under session which needs changes for this project.

Session methods in session.php
Methods related to view online users. Most in viewonline.php
Methods related to logged in user in user.php

I need to clarify some things.
Weather this scope is correct and comfortable for the project ?
Weather we should allow administrator to configure memcached servers through ACP ?

Already there is a cache driver implementation in phpBB to configure with phpBB system.
We can use it for this solution.
Are we going to give the administrator a choice to use memecahed or only database for session caching ?

About the proposal.
How can I get a feedback for my proposal form phpBB community ?
Where to publish my proposal ?

Thanks!

CHItA Online
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Some questions on Session Backend Abstraction

Post by CHItA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 am

davidjames wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 am
Hi All,

I am working on the gsoc proposal for Session Backend Abstraction. I have some questions about scope of this project.

I have identified following areas which comes under session which needs changes for this project.

Session methods in session.php
Methods related to view online users. Most in viewonline.php
Methods related to logged in user in user.php

I need to clarify some things.
Weather this scope is correct and comfortable for the project ?
Weather we should allow administrator to configure memcached servers through ACP ?

Already there is a cache driver implementation in phpBB to configure with phpBB system.
We can use it for this solution.
Are we going to give the administrator a choice to use memecahed or only database for session caching ?

About the proposal.
How can I get a feedback for my proposal form phpBB community ?
Where to publish my proposal ?

Thanks!
To answer the question whether or not the scope is right, we would need to know what features you would like to implement.

To your question about the session storage, you could implement any features there, you don't have to stick to the current behaviour, that's kind of the whole point of rewriting the system.

You can publish your proposal through GSOC's site, and you will get feedback there from the mentors. Of course, you can publish it on this forum, if you want feedback from more people and you don't mind making your proposal publicly available to anyone.