[RFC] Login with email

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
jsebean

Re: [RFC] Login with email

Post by jsebean »

naderman wrote:It does have one advantage: it solves the "forgot my username" problem.
Maybe we should instead have a feature "forgot username" and let ya enter in an email address, and captcha to send an email with the username, or usernames, that email address corresponds to, then simply not implement this feature since it would create some problems. Instead this RFC might be better off as a mod?
-Jonah

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

jsebean wrote: Instead this RFC might be better off as a mod?
That's my idea all along.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

What would happen when 2+ usernames are associated with one email address? Unless we can come up with a satisfactory answer for that, -1 from me.

EDIT: Also, there's the other issue that was brought up earlier, where a user can use an email address as their username, since that is an acceptable input during registration. So what happens when a username conflicts with another account's email address (probably doesn't happen much, but it could and we would need to keep that from happening).
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

imkingdavid wrote:What would happen when 2+ usernames are associated with one email address? Unless we can come up with a satisfactory answer for that, -1 from me.

EDIT: Also, there's the other issue that was brought up earlier, where a user can use an email address as their username, since that is an acceptable input during registration. So what happens when a username conflicts with another account's email address (probably doesn't happen much, but it could and we would need to keep that from happening).
Exactly why I said this feature probably isn't practical, would be better off as a mod if someone wanted to make one to do this.
-Jonah

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

imkingdavid wrote:What would happen when 2+ usernames are associated with one email address? Unless we can come up with a satisfactory answer for that, -1 from me.
Just asking... 2+ usernames associated with same email address implies duplicate account right? Why allow that? Discontinue the registration right then, so that a user may not register again with the same email. This is not a fool proof method to prevent duplicate accounts though. This is a feature I had seen in many forums.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

AliasM2K wrote:
Just asking... 2+ usernames associated with same email address implies duplicate account right? Why allow that? Discontinue the registration right then, so that a user may not register again with the same email. This is not a fool proof method to prevent duplicate accounts though. This is a feature I had seen in many forums.
Email reuse is currently allowed (at least, it is if enabled in the ACP)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

AliasM2K wrote:
The feature is there to allow it and I agree it does seem a little weird to allow it, but it is there and there's room for possible issues, such as boards that have it enabled you would have some issues with using the email to login on multiple accounts. If we can figure out a way to handle it correctly and remove that feature (allow email reuse) then this feature could work and would be certainly a nice feature.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how IPB does this? IPB allows you to convert from other board softwares, like phpBB, and they allow you to setup email authentication, how do they handle repeats, or did they even think of that? If they did, maybe we could do something like they do if it makes sense.
-Jonah

AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

callumacrae wrote:Email reuse is currently allowed (at least, it is if enabled in the ACP)
Ooh... Ok. Didn't notice that.

andreszs

Post by andreszs »

callumacrae wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm I propose that users should be allowed to log in with either their username or their email address, similar to how this modification does it.
Any news on this implementation for 3.2? Putting excuses for not implementing it is not helpful. Many users really forget their usernames and they must be allowed to login via email without cumbersome extensions not even present on the Extension database.

All decent websites and social networks allow login with email, why must phpBB be relegated to the crippled-programmed sites list? I don't understand why the phpBB developers refuse to see this, please reconsider this feature by thinking about the forum users, not about X or Y reason why this shpuld not be implemented. Forums admins are requesting it, users are requesting it to admins, and here we hit a brick wall because someone thinks this is too much work or whatever.

Kindly start thinking about users and moving in a forward direction to make phpBB more accessible, not the opposite.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

andreszs wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:11 pm All decent websites and social networks allow login with email, why must phpBB be relegated to the crippled-programmed sites list?
And none allow the re-use of email addresses.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money