BBcodes

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
david63

BBcodes

Post by david63 »

Should the current set of hard-coded BBcodes be moved from being hard-coded to being pre-installed options?

There seems to be a number of requests to modify/remove these codes which currently is not possible without changing core code, but having them as options would give this added flexibility.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Re: BBcodes

Post by Vinny »

+1

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

+1

Make them all pre-installed, editable / custom BBCodes.

However, what about img and url ? Don't they have some unique features that cannot be simply created via a custom BBCode? And color should be tied to a color picker (although some data attribute or id will suffice I guess).

P.S.: Remove flash ?

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I agree with this. I even tried to do that with the WYSIWYG editor. But the current quote tag is too hard to make it work right. So I'm waiting for a solution.
Tbh, tags like img and url are "child's play" compared to the quote tag

david63

Post by david63 »

If quote is too difficult to remove from the code, and I can appreciate that it could be, then leave that hard coded as I suspect that virtually all boards use that feature anyway.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Louis7777 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm Make them all pre-installed, editable / custom BBCodes.
Too much of cons I guess.
Louis7777 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm However, what about img and url ? Don't they have some unique features that cannot be simply created via a custom BBCode?
Those two should IMO stay there, quote as well.
Louis7777 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm And color should be tied to a color picker (although some data attribute or id will suffice I guess).
Actually is http://prntscr.com/fosygh .. or am I mssing something?
Louis7777 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 pm P.S.: Remove flash ?
Yes, Please.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

3Di wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:57 pm Actually is http://prntscr.com/fosygh .. or am I mssing something?
It currently is, because it is hard-coded.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

The BBCode definitions are stored in the PHP sources but they are no different from custom BBCodes and it would be possible to store them in the database to make them editable.

If anyone wants to do it, here are the relevant sections: (you'd need to create a migration too)
Maybe it could be split into two subtasks:
  1. Remove the part in the ACP that prevents overwriting the default BBCodes.
    → Allows expert admins to overwrite the defaults.
  2. Add the default BBCodes to the list shown in the ACP.
    → Lets all admins delete the default BBCodes and then complain that they don't work anymore. :sarcasm:

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Too much of Cons against Pros IMO.

And the sarcasm is appropriated, I wouldn't imagine how many support requests will be created and how many disappointed not-expert Admins who are blaming people here and there etc.. Nah.

It is a tricky situation, not easy to solve. If this is the goal.
BBcodes are a foundation very difficult to break-thru.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

they should not be db options in the way the custom ones are. the way the standard ones should be handled is 100% from the bbcodes.html file as this allows for the most flexibility for customization for the style authors. Currently it is not handled this way by default
Donations welcome via Paypal Image