[RFC] Smilies in a dropdown box

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Smilies in a dropdown box

Post by DavidIQ »

They are relevant. You would not believe the amount of smileys added by admins on different boards...it's pretty crazy sometimes.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:55 pm not to steal the topic but its slightly related to the smiles, do we or should we eliminate them in the new theme? with the advent of emojis are smiles still relavent? possibly add something like https://github.com/diy/jquery-emojiarea instead? and change the current code we use for the current smiles to populate the emoji equivalents.
No! :x

With smilies you know exactly what you get and the admin can offer you a nice set to use. And it can all be customized via the ACP.

P.S.: Emojis are crap. Even the word is ridiculous.

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

Agreed with David and Louis. Smilies allow admins to pick the images themselves, whereas for Emoji these are usually predetermined what they would look like. I don't think we would want to make those decisions for them and unnecessarily delete ways for customisation.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

david63

Post by david63 »

JimA wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm...for Emoji these are usually predetermined what they would look like. I don't think we would want to make those decisions for them
But since 3.2 anyone can use any Emoji that they want, so I cannot see the validity of that argument.

I do however feel that Smilies should not be abandoned just yet - there is too much legacy to contend with and there are still many board users that do not even know what Emojis are, let alone how to use them.

Perhaps consider removing Smilies in 3.4 or even 3.5
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Not all smilies are covered by emoji though. Plus some boards might have themed and related smilies. I don't think smilies should ever be obsoleted.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Smilies should last forever IMO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

pierredu

Post by pierredu »

IMO, too.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

so what i am gathering, keep them, but we should at least look into providing a consistent interface for both and just use the smiles as a custom category for the new theme?

Should we continue to provide overlap? there are some like the basics that are widely recognized by emojis should we consider condensing the smiles to only custom ones out of the box with the option to provide customization still there?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

hanakin wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:02 am so what i am gathering, keep them, but we should at least look into providing a consistent interface for both and just use the smiles as a custom category for the new theme?

Should we continue to provide overlap? there are some like the basics that are widely recognized by emojis should we consider condensing the smiles to only custom ones out of the box with the option to provide customization still there?
In my opinion, smilies should be the primary category. Actually, I don't care if there are going to be any emoji categories and I wish we'd remove them. :evil:

Also, what has been defined by the admin (i.e. the smilies) should come first, so yes, continue overlapping them.

And please keep the provided set of smilies. Who's better at suggesting how an emoticon should look like? A friggin emoji committee or phpBB? Rhetoric question of course.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Louis7777 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:14 am In my opinion, smilies should be the primary category. Actually, I don't care if there are going to be any emoji categories and I wish we'd remove them. :evil:

Also, what has been defined by the admin (i.e. the smilies) should come first, so yes, continue overlapping them.

And please keep the provided set of smilies. Who's better at suggesting how an emoticon should look like? A friggin emoji committee or phpBB? Rhetoric question of course.
So basically allow for any and all emoji customization through smiles? ie the default tab in a menu would be the board smiles with other tabs for the emojis.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image