Emojis/Notifications/Mentions

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
OwenDaBoss

Emojis/Notifications/Mentions

Post by OwenDaBoss »

I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT CODE AT ALL. THIS IS JUST A SUGGESTION.

Would there be any way to implement an @ function? Like @OwenDaBoss (message). For someone to be sent a notification at the moment you have to quote them. It's a pain in the neck. Surely you would only need to use the same code as quoting? The thing is, sometimes you just want to mention someone and not quote a particular thing. It's just an overall annoyance.

Is there also a way, and if not is there a chance of it being made, that you could be notified whenever someone replies to a topic you created other than bookmarking every individual one? My overall point is that notifications are nowhere near good enough as I think they could be. Thanks

Owen

P.S. Any chance for new smilies/Apple emoji support? :)

OwenDaBoss

Re: Emojis/Notifications/Mentions

Post by OwenDaBoss »

Sorry this has posted multiple times it never showed as going through

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

OwenDaBoss wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:41 pm Sorry this has posted multiple times it never showed as going through
Hi, welcome to our development board.
This is because we use the moderator queue as a measure for spam prevention and we had to approve your post first. :)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

OwenDaBoss

Post by OwenDaBoss »

JimA wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:43 pm
OwenDaBoss wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:41 pm Sorry this has posted multiple times it never showed as going through
This is because we use the moderator queue as a measure for spam prevention and we had to approve your post first. :)
Oh okay ;)

OwenDaBoss

Post by OwenDaBoss »

JimA wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:43 pm
Is this the right place to post this or should I contact the developers directly

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Already discussed at great length.

And as far as I'm aware emojis are supported in 3.2 as long as you have the right database character set, also discussed in a completed RFC topic.

OwenDaBoss

Post by OwenDaBoss »

DavidIQ wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:10 pm Already discussed at great length.

And as far as I'm aware emojis are supported in 3.2 as long as you have the right database character set, also discussed in a completed RFC topic.
Well they aren't in the forum I use most but my biggest issue is with the notification problem. Do you know anything about if that would be possible?

Edit: Whoops I didn't see the first thing you said
Edit 2: Okay but that seemed pretty open ended. It didn't say whether or not it was actually implemented or am I stupid?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

As I said 3.2 is where emojis are supported, which has not been released. So unless you're running the unreleased version of phpBB then you're not going to have emoji support. Someone had created an @mentions extension but abandoned after figuring out it was a very difficult task. This is mentioned in the above topic.

OwenDaBoss

Post by OwenDaBoss »

DavidIQ wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 pm As I said 3.2 is where emojis are supported, which has not been released. So unless you're running the unreleased version of phpBB then you're not going to have emoji support. Someone had created an @mentions extension but abandoned after figuring out it was a very difficult task. This is mentioned in the above topic.
I didn't see there were 25 pages hahaah

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

There seems to be a simple @mentions extension in development now for 3.2 :)