PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Post Reply
User avatar
david63
Registered User
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:23 am
Location: Lancashire, UK

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by david63 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:58 am

CarpCharacin wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:13 am
I am not quite sure what templates to put the SCE code into. I plan to have the editor files in /editor/.
He did, but he did not say when
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

User avatar
CarpCharacin
Registered User
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 am

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by CarpCharacin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I think that his integration is a lot more advanced than what I am trying to do, but I think that we should try to do a basic integration. The pull request would consist of adding a new /editor/ folder and some template edits to add the editor.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 pm

That can already be done using an extension so we're not really looking to add "basic" functionality, unless you're planning to add it to your own local repository to then implement the rest of the needed functionality. The biggest hurdle has been, and still is custom BBCodes.
Image

User avatar
CarpCharacin
Registered User
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 am

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by CarpCharacin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:41 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 pm
That can already be done using an extension so we're not really looking to add "basic" functionality, unless you're planning to add it to your own local repository to then implement the rest of the needed functionality. The biggest hurdle has been, and still is custom BBCodes.
The editor supports BBCodes.

Code: Select all

<script>
$(function() {
    // Replace all textarea's
    // with SCEditor
    $("textarea").sceditor({
        plugins: "bbcode",
	style: "minified/jquery.sceditor.default.min.css"
    });
});
</script>

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Custom BBCodes. They're not the same as standard BBCodes.
Image

User avatar
JoshyPHP
Registered User
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by JoshyPHP » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 pm

I've never heard of a forum software that renders custom BBCodes in their rich text editor. Best to focus on core BBCodes and perhaps down the line allow to map some of the custom BBCodes to the equivalent editor's feature, such as highlighted spans, font style, etc...

User avatar
CarpCharacin
Registered User
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 am

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by CarpCharacin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:52 pm

JoshyPHP wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 pm
I've never heard of a forum software that renders custom BBCodes in their rich text editor. Best to focus on core BBCodes and perhaps down the line allow to map some of the custom BBCodes to the equivalent editor's feature, such as highlighted spans, font style, etc...
+1

User avatar
brunoais
Registered User
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by brunoais » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 am

JoshyPHP wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 pm
I've never heard of a forum software that renders custom BBCodes in their rich text editor. Best to focus on core BBCodes and perhaps down the line allow to map some of the custom BBCodes to the equivalent editor's feature, such as highlighted spans, font style, etc...
How about if phpBB is the first ;)?

User avatar
JoshyPHP
Registered User
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by JoshyPHP » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am

I think it's better to create an attainable goal rather than set up a moonshot. Having a basic, usable RTE soon would benefit the users more than having a very complicated RTE at some indeterminate point in the future.

Plus, reaching small manageable goals feels rewarding and motivates people to go forward to bigger things. Big, seemingly unattainable goals can demotivate and lead to burnout.

User avatar
Gooof
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by Gooof » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:47 pm

JoshyPHP wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am
I think it's better to create an attainable goal rather than set up a moonshot. Having a basic, usable RTE soon would benefit the users more than having a very complicated RTE at some indeterminate point in the future.

Plus, reaching small manageable goals feels rewarding and motivates people to go forward to bigger things. Big, seemingly unattainable goals can demotivate and lead to burnout.
Absolute right. Custom bbcodes can't work, and will not work in RTE.
Especially since the new text parser is too complex with xsl:choose bbcodes.

Post Reply