PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
david63

Re: PHPBB3-10418 - WYSIWYG Editor/Rich Text Editor

Post by david63 »

CarpCharacin wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:13 am I am not quite sure what templates to put the SCE code into. I plan to have the editor files in /editor/.
He did, but he did not say when
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

I think that his integration is a lot more advanced than what I am trying to do, but I think that we should try to do a basic integration. The pull request would consist of adding a new /editor/ folder and some template edits to add the editor.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

That can already be done using an extension so we're not really looking to add "basic" functionality, unless you're planning to add it to your own local repository to then implement the rest of the needed functionality. The biggest hurdle has been, and still is custom BBCodes.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 pm That can already be done using an extension so we're not really looking to add "basic" functionality, unless you're planning to add it to your own local repository to then implement the rest of the needed functionality. The biggest hurdle has been, and still is custom BBCodes.
The editor supports BBCodes.

Code: Select all

<script>
$(function() {
    // Replace all textarea's
    // with SCEditor
    $("textarea").sceditor({
        plugins: "bbcode",
	style: "minified/jquery.sceditor.default.min.css"
    });
});
</script>

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Custom BBCodes. They're not the same as standard BBCodes.

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

I've never heard of a forum software that renders custom BBCodes in their rich text editor. Best to focus on core BBCodes and perhaps down the line allow to map some of the custom BBCodes to the equivalent editor's feature, such as highlighted spans, font style, etc...

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

JoshyPHP wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 pm I've never heard of a forum software that renders custom BBCodes in their rich text editor. Best to focus on core BBCodes and perhaps down the line allow to map some of the custom BBCodes to the equivalent editor's feature, such as highlighted spans, font style, etc...
+1

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

JoshyPHP wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 pm I've never heard of a forum software that renders custom BBCodes in their rich text editor. Best to focus on core BBCodes and perhaps down the line allow to map some of the custom BBCodes to the equivalent editor's feature, such as highlighted spans, font style, etc...
How about if phpBB is the first ;)?

JoshyPHP

Post by JoshyPHP »

I think it's better to create an attainable goal rather than set up a moonshot. Having a basic, usable RTE soon would benefit the users more than having a very complicated RTE at some indeterminate point in the future.

Plus, reaching small manageable goals feels rewarding and motivates people to go forward to bigger things. Big, seemingly unattainable goals can demotivate and lead to burnout.

Gooof

Post by Gooof »

JoshyPHP wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:51 am I think it's better to create an attainable goal rather than set up a moonshot. Having a basic, usable RTE soon would benefit the users more than having a very complicated RTE at some indeterminate point in the future.

Plus, reaching small manageable goals feels rewarding and motivates people to go forward to bigger things. Big, seemingly unattainable goals can demotivate and lead to burnout.
Absolute right. Custom bbcodes can't work, and will not work in RTE.
Especially since the new text parser is too complex with xsl:choose bbcodes.