Some help creating a PR

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Ger

Some help creating a PR

Post by Ger »

Hello,

I just created a PR for adding a template event: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4447
However, it seems to result in a huge PR with dozens of older commits I don't have anything to do with. Somehow I must have messed up. :oops:

It's the first PR for me, so probably I have missed something. Can somebody please assist me to make this a proper PR?
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Some help creating a PR

Post by Senky »

That is because you try to merge your PR into 3.2.x branch, whilst new events belong to 3.1.x branch.

Ger

Post by Ger »

But new events added to 3.1 should also be added to 3.2, shouldn't they?
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager

Post by Crizzo »

Hi,

you need to point the PR to 3.1.x branch.

And you need to setup your new branch, that one with the Patch, on base of the current 3.1.x. branch.

Regards

Ger

Post by Ger »

Thanks. New PR created: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4448
Fingers crossed... :)

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Ger wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:03 am But new events added to 3.1 should also be added to 3.2, shouldn't they?
They are added by routine merging of 3.1.x into 3.2.x.

Ger

Post by Ger »

I must say I'm getting a bit tired here. While all requested changes are clear, requesting, commenting, changing and reviewing takes at least three times more time than just fixing a typo and a version bump....

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

Sorry for a bit of confusion I might have caused you. While this is probably rather easy for us because we're used to it, I do understand that changing small things all over and over again is somewhat tiring. That's also why I decided to fix these last few minor issues myself and help you out with that.
If you need any help with clearing up what I changed afterwards feel free to post this here or hit me up on IRC in #phpbb-dev.

Ger

Post by Ger »

NP and thanks.
Part of my irritation was also caused by me being on holiday with only a tablet to "work" on which is annoying. I hoped it was a simple and quick addition that I committed a few days before my departure, expecting it to get merged without issues.
The requested changes were clear and sound, but adding those on a tablet was probably not the best approach. Should have parked it until today. :)

But than again: I think my intention about this PR was clear. Crizz0 than bumped the version, okay. After that, he came with an extra event. Okay. After that, Marc came with the sort order. Okay. And than a typo. And again a version.
I'm used to work in a team where we fix that kind of issues while merging the code, and reporting the issues to the committer. That works a lot faster than going back-and-forth 5 times, while commenting, waiting, reviewing and that times 5.