New Style for phpBB 3.3 ?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: New Style for phpBB 3.3 ?

Post by hanakin »

@Marc looking good I have some suggestions ill pm.

@neufke

we kind of do internally on github, its just not a team on team page of the site as we pull from several aspects that have a say on the theme dev team/styles team/website team/extensions team as they all work with the front-end in some capacity

with that said if there is anyone who is interested in helping to work on this with heavy css/js experience feel free to pm me
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

hanakin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:52 am @Marc looking good I have some suggestions ill pm.

@neufke

we kind of do internally on github, its just not a team the site as we pull from three aspects that have a say on the theme dev team/styles team/website team as they all work with the front-end in some capacity
Sorry but I am having hard times in order to get your point, I mean could you please rephrase all of this?
Thanks in advance.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

neufke

Post by neufke »

hanakin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:52 amwe kind of do internally on github, its just not a team on team page of the site as we pull from several aspects that have a say on the theme dev team/styles team/website team/extensions team as they all work with the front-end in some capacity
I kind of go with 3Di on this one. It is nice that we get some vague answer about things that "you kind of do decide... etc" but that wasn't the question.

I asked if it wasn't about time to get a fully dedicated team on the new theme so if i read your answer correctly, you think the answer is no. You still think it is enough to make some decisions chatting about it on github even though each and every thread about this subject talks about the very importance of "the new proSilver" and how it should take phpBB out of the past and into modern time.

There was an hours worth of reading material more in my reply but then i remembered that this is not the place nor the time to "rant" about these kind of decisions so @hanakin: thnx, at least it was a very honest answer and that really is appreciated! ;-)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

neufke wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 am I asked if it wasn't about time to get a fully dedicated team on the new theme so if i read your answer correctly, you think the answer is no. You still think it is enough to make some decisions chatting about it on github even though each and every thread about this subject talks about the very importance of "the new proSilver" and how it should take phpBB out of the past and into modern time.
No he didn't say that at all. He said:
hanakin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:52 am we kind of do internally on github, its just not a team on team page of the site
Since you completely misinterpreted this I'll be clearer: there is a "team" already in place that is comprised of team members from the different phpBB teams that is meant to work specifically on a new style. He even said that if any knowledgeable community member is interested in working on this new style they can PM him.

I'll amend that to be those community members that are not inclined to just ranting about processes and decisions instead of doing the style work. So those of you that fit in with the description can PM away. If you don't receive a response in a few days then just forward the PM to either Marc or myself and we'll be sure to properly handle it.

neufke

Post by neufke »

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm I'll amend that to be those community members that are not inclined to just ranting about processes and decisions instead of doing the style work. So those of you that fit in with the description can PM away. If you don't receive a response in a few days then just forward the PM to either Marc or myself and we'll be sure to properly handle it.
Thank you David. FWIW, this is a clear answer and yes i misinterpreted the answer from hanakin. But then again, i for one hear for the first time now that there has been actively been worked on the new theme so maybe there is also a gap in communication (is this correct english?) where people -and i do admit- do not read threads with 40 pages or longer anymore. Maybe it is exciting enough just to state somewhere as an announcement: we are working on a new theme, we are thinking on releasing it in version 3.4 (or whatever).... Members who want to contribute bladiebla.... This entire thread would almost have been obsolete (hence, the entire discussion about selectors by class vs id's)

Thanks for making it clear. I will definately and seriously think about sending a PM to hanakin...

aleha

Post by aleha »

Since a candidate new UI is being worked internally for now, I would like to ask what are the chances to base it on some CSS framework such as bootstrap or purecss or make it from scratch?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

it will have a css framework at its core, but it will be a custom one. We will most likely use elements from BS, MDL, INUITCSS, SUITCSS. I am working on that now. It will fit well with the intent and scope of phpbb and future themes. There is a lot of variables to take into account and most popular frameworks like BS are not actually frameworks at all but rather just UI libraries which fall short in several aspects when it comes to such a large project like a forum with user customization in mind. For examples of acctual frameworks take a look at the last two mentioned.

Rebecka

Elegance from Artodia

Post by Rebecka »

Regarding a new style/design. I have to beat the drum for Elegance from Artodia. Elegance feels super modern and really nicely done. The sad part is that Artodia will stop creating (and update) styles for phpBB, you can read about it here.

Quoting Artodia:
phpBB

Working on XenForo and WordPress takes all my available time, there is no time left for phpBB. Because of that there won't be any new phpBB styles. There will be some support for styles for phpBB 3.1, these styles will be updated for compatibility with latest phpBB 3.1. phpBB 3.0 styles will be gone. Eventually phpBB 3.1 styles will be gone as well. Anyone who wants to update styles for phpBB 3.2 is welcome to do that and release updated styles on phpbb.com
Very sad news. I think Artodia made perhaps the best free styles for phpBB. I prefer them over Prosilver (which they are based on).

It would be nice if the new default style took inspiration from Elegance by Artodia. Maybe Artodia's best style yet.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

I would disagree that they are the best but they are among them. We are working on something that will address all your concerns. The design is however the last thing that always gets hashed out. Before that a lot of ground work needs to happen a lot of which matchs the first part of that post. As a designer I can a sure you that focus on the design will be a key factor.

Lastly I do not want to speak for Arty I will let him weigh in but there is no telling what the future will hold, especially once we mange to release our new theme.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

I think that for 3.3/4.0 we should have fontawesome topic icons and forum icons also. I also do agree that it should be called phpbb4 instead of 3.3 since it will be very different from the existing 3.x versions.