Multi quote and quotes

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Rebecka

Multi quote and quotes

Post by Rebecka »

I miss one, for me, important function in phpBB, and that is multi quote. You can choose to quote several people in XenForo by clicking the +Quote then "Add quotes" in Quick Reply (not called Quick Reply in XenForo).

Another thing I dislike in phpBB is the quote function. Let me explain. If you quote one person several times, quotes are nested.

Example:
User Y wrote:
User X wrote:Dummy text
Dummy text
It doesn't end after three quotes either. This can go on and make it even more nested.

My suggestion is that "Reply to quote" only quote the post (not quote/quotes in the post).

Anybody agree?

Ger

Re: Multi quote and quotes

Post by Ger »

Rebecka wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:23 am I miss one, for me, important function in phpBB, and that is multi quote. You can choose to quote several people in XenForo by clicking the +Quote then "Add quotes" in Quick Reply (not called Quick Reply in XenForo).
When you have the Full editor, the previous posts are shown in the bottom. Each post has a quote button that adds the post (or a selection) in your editor.
It doesn't end after three quotes either. This can go on and make it even more nested.

My suggestion is that "Reply to quote" only quote the post (not quote/quotes in the post).
For this the setting "Maximum nesting depth for quotes:" (in ACP Post settings) exists. Default it's set to 3.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Rebecka

Post by Rebecka »

Ger wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 pm When you have the Full editor, the previous posts are shown in the bottom. Each post has a quote button that adds the post (or a selection) in your editor.

For this the setting "Maximum nesting depth for quotes:" (in ACP Post settings) exists. Default it's set to 3.
I didn't know that Full editor worked like that. I wish Quick Reply acted in the same way as many users may miss this while eliminating extra steps. On second thought, it would be good if Quick Reply was replaced by Full editor.

I'll have to check out the ACP Post Settings. Thanks!

Edit: I checked out the ACP Post Settings. This was my answer. Thank you!

Ger

Post by Ger »

Rebecka wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:18 pm I wish Quick Reply acted in the same way as many users may miss this while eliminating extra steps. On second thought, it would be good if Quick Reply was replaced by Full editor.
Well, the Quick reply is intended for short, e.g. quick answers. It is intended to be far less resource intensive than the full editor, since most users/guests who view a topic don't reply. Loading a full editor on every topic view request would result in higher server load, more bandwidth usage and slower page speeds, while (arguably) 90% of the viewers don't experience any benefit.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Rebecka

Post by Rebecka »

Ger wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:00 pm Well, the Quick reply is intended for short, e.g. quick answers. It is intended to be far less resource intensive than the full editor, since most users/guests who view a topic don't reply. Loading a full editor on every topic view request would result in higher server load, more bandwidth usage and slower page speeds, while (arguably) 90% of the viewers don't experience any benefit.
I understand. Perhaps I've become too accustomed to using XenForo (I'm not using XenForo myself but I'm active on a forum using XenForo).

However, I feel that it's more complicated to multi quote on phpBB. Complicated as in less logical in how it works (not as straightforward as XenForo). I also notice that users of phpBB is much less prone to multi quote than users in XenForo. It's much nicer when users multi quote than posting multiple times.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Well, one could argue the quoting system could use some improvements (it hasn't really changed since phpBB 3.0 was released back in 2007) but bearing in mind the philosophy of a basic, lean and mean forum system I wouldn't go as far as IPB or XF do.

skorpion352

Post by skorpion352 »

One feature I like about several other forums systems that I use somewhat regularly is the ability to select/mark posts as i am reading them and then have then quoted when I click reply. This is especially helpful when a thread has become popular in a short space of time or when nearing the end of the current page of replies and then there are posts of two (or more) pages that I want to quote. On forums that don't have this feature I more often end up not bothering to quote anyone, creating confusion, or I just don't bother replying at all

(And yes I'm aware of how old this thread is)