New Style for phpBB 3.3 ?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Joyce&Luna

Re: New Style for phpBB 3.3 ?

Post by Joyce&Luna »

My contributions are translated from German to English by google. This can lead to misunderstanding.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Whatever style you make and whenever you make, just never use any id in the markup. It's really useless and has no benefits over classes. Classes ftw.

Lirodon

Post by Lirodon »

So I've actually been looking at that proposed style guide, and it got me thinking about stuff. I quickly prototyped up a potential design. Right now it's just a header, but you can see where I'm going so far.
Desktop
Desktop
And the mobile version
Mobile
Mobile
The key component under the hood, besides Font Awesome, is Pure. It's a framework sort of like Bootstrap, except that it is much lighter in comparison. The minified stylesheets called by this framework only total 30 KB. I deliberately kept the layout similar to the existing ProSilver for the purposes of continuity, though I did switch the positioning of the search and user bars (what I really want to do is align the user bit to the bottom of the header bar).

So, opinions?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

It's hard to give an opinion without seeing the forum list but I think it's a pretty good start.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:30 pm Whatever style you make and whenever you make, just never use any id in the markup. It's really useless and has no benefits over classes. Classes ftw.
Please elaborate.

koraldon

Post by koraldon »

I would like to suggest in new style, to remove the constant icon on the view forums list. It is ugly IMHO and not customisable. It should be replaced by user selected icon or none. Forum should be marked with other way to mark it has unread posts - maybe CSS effect - if wanted by users.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Louis7777 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:19 pm
Rhino.Freak wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:30 pm Whatever style you make and whenever you make, just never use any id in the markup. It's really useless and has no benefits over classes. Classes ftw.
Please elaborate.
What exactly should I elaborate? Just its a better practice to not use ID for elements to style them, instead we should use classes only because classes are reusable. IDs are not. IDs also have a very high specificity which should be avoidable.
Unless we use some sort of JavaScript OR an Anchor of some sort, IDs should not be used. In those cases also, it's best to give a class to the elements and style them through it.

About the new style, I like it thus far. Just not the choice of the icon for register, that one suits better for members. Use THIS one instead.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:58 am What exactly should I elaborate? Just its a better practice to not use ID for elements to style them, instead we should use classes only because classes are reusable. IDs are not. IDs also have a very high specificity which should be avoidable.
You said to never use IDs in the markup.

The high specificity and the unreusability are exactly the reasons why IDs should be used. Should I elaborate?

Rhino.Freak wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:58 am Use THIS one instead.
3.3 will most likely use SVG icons.

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Yes please elaborate!

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:03 pm Yes please elaborate!
1. You can have unique elements e.g. one overall header, one overall footer, one container for a go2top arrow.

2. They make it faster for the browser to match an element (depending on how they are used and while keeping in mind that CSS selectors are matched by reading them from right to left) and faster for the developer to locate the element or its corresponding styles.