[RFC] Human Readable URLs

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
3Di

Re: [RFC] Human Readable URLs

Post by 3Di »

I am not arguing, I am not interested at this kind of stuffs at all.
What I did here was to point you out that there are already a LOT of topics related to, in where you could participate. ;)
Have a nice day.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

3Di wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:52 am I am not arguing, I am not interested at this kind of stuffs at all.
You have the right like everybody to have your opinion !
3Di wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:52 am What I did here was to point you out that there are already a LOT of topics related to, in where you could participate. ;)
Have a nice day.
Yes there are a lot of topics about it (most of them years ago)
It's a bit frustrating to see that it seems to be a kind of "religion" of phpbb developper team not provide the possibility to choose "nice URL's" Maybe they love "ugly URL's" (would be the opposite name ;) )

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:11 pmIt's a bit frustrating to see that it seems to be a kind of "religion" of phpbb developper team not provide the possibility to choose "nice URL's" Maybe they love "ugly URL's" (would be the opposite name ;) )
We are not against the idea but it's close to the bottom of the priorities list in my opinion. It has been proven time and again that Google doesn't care much about these so called "human readable URLs", even by them, so all it would be is just for looks and nothing else. Quite frankly adding something like that in without actually having done needed renovations internally would be like giving a Ford Fiesta a new paint job and calling it a Mercedes. I would much rather developer time be spent on adding actual useful features that users would benefit immediately from. I dare to say that a WYSIWYG editor would be tons more useful than human readable URLs. ;)

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 pm
juliokr wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:11 pmIt's a bit frustrating to see that it seems to be a kind of "religion" of phpbb developper team not provide the possibility to choose "nice URL's" Maybe they love "ugly URL's" (would be the opposite name ;) )
We are not against the idea but it's close to the bottom of the priorities list in my opinion. It has been proven time and again that Google doesn't care much about these so called "human readable URLs", even by them, so all it would be is just for looks and nothing else. Quite frankly adding something like that in without actually having done needed renovations internally would be like giving a Ford Fiesta a new paint job and calling it a Mercedes. I would much rather developer time be spent on adding actual useful features that users would benefit immediately from. I dare to say that a WYSIWYG editor would be tons more useful than human readable URLs. ;)
The problem is that there seem to be no possibly for extension developers to build this function as an extension since 3.1. www.phpbb-seo.com gave up and the only extension for "seo urls" is a beta The developer says the he can not finish the extension because there is no Event to write it correctly !
I'm using it because I used the mod for 3.0 from the beginning and don't want to smash my Google ranking (which is not to bad compared to other forum with the same themes) by the way : all my "concurrents" who have rankings near for the same keywords are using "SEO mod" but they seem to be blocked on phpBB 3.0.x.
So if could already make it possible to developers to build a correct extension it would help !
And WYSIWYG ("sceditor") extension exists I'm using it because no "normal user"seems to understand what BBcode is (except human spammers and spam-bots) .

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:31 pm The problem is that there seem to be no possibly for extension developers to build this function as an extension since 3.1. www.phpbb-seo.com gave up and the only extension for "seo urls" is a beta The developer says the he can not finish the extension because there is no Event to write it correctly !
They have nobody to blame but themselves for that. We have easy to follow protocols in place for requesting events that all other extension authors have followed to get events they need into the core. If they didn't bother with requesting whatever events were needed to get a phpBB-SEO extension working then that's implying they're either tired of the countless support requests that their MOD generated (and now extension) or they're just not wanting to bother anymore. ;)

umarizal

Post by umarizal »

I can not understand how phpBB does not use URLs as well. And the worst part in all discussions about it, I see the leaders vehemently reject that idea.

Famous forum scripts as IPB and UBB already utiliam friendly URLs, because phpBB not? Wordpress and Joomla for years using this kind of URLs. Do all developers of these scripts are wrong and only the phpBB developers are right?

Is there any possibility of it being incorporated into the phpBB 3.2, for example?

This is the kind of thing that should be native and never an extension, since the absence of new versions of the extension development to maintain compatibility with new versions of phpBB, cause the breakdown of URLs, something bad for website SEO.

Thank you ;-)
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

umarizal wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 3:53 pm I can not understand how phpBB does not use URLs as well. And the worst part in all discussions about it, I see the leaders vehemently reject that idea.
It's amazing how one person said this without basis and now some just believe it without actually seeing it happen. Please quote the developers that have been against this idea so we may talk to them.
Is there any possibility of it being incorporated into the phpBB 3.2, for example?
An extension could be created but lack of interest has prevented one from being properly created. See my previous ccommen for more details.

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 4:20 pm
An extension could be created but lack of interest has prevented one from being properly created. See my previous ccommen for more details.
Sorry this is not really true there is no "lack of interest" one the board owner side and even the developer of the only SEO extension https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2288486 says always that he cannot finish because he can't get get the event he needs to finish ! So who believe ?
But it's true
This is the kind of thing that should be native and never an extension, since the absence of new versions of the extension development to maintain compatibility with new versions of phpBB, cause the breakdown of URLs, something bad for website SEO.
So I'm using the extension in beta wich is much better than to smash my Google ranking (which is not to bad maybe thanks to "SEO Urls" (you can never prove it) .

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 pmSorry this is not really true there is no "lack of interest" one the board owner side and even the developer of the only SEO extension https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2288486 says always that he cannot finish because he can't get get the event he needs to finish ! So who believe ?
But it's true
There is certainly a lack of interest in creating an extension, otherwise there would have been a few extensions for this, but there isn't. Or are you saying that the fact that you yourself stating that the makers of phpBB SEO abandoning their extension is not an indication of lack of interest in development?

david63

Post by david63 »

juliokr wrote: Sun May 01, 2016 9:28 pm he cannot finish because he can't get get the event he needs to finish
Has he created a Pull Request for the event he needs? If not then it will not suddenly appear by magic.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!