Complete redesign of the update process?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
3Di

Re: Complete redesign of the update process?

Post by 3Di »

Indeed, I got the ChiTa's suggestion but I was referring to the david63's reply though (an extension to the Upload Extensions extension).

I believe that the idea of a such feature (Upload Extensions extension) should be in fact a part of the core code: installing extensions the easy way, avoiding at least FTP'ing.

Don't know if someone else already wrote an RFC or a ticket about that.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes.

Actually the subject of this entire topic has been previously discussed at length as well:
https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=42337

Stringence

Post by Stringence »

So, perhaps it's something for update 3.2.1?

Anyway, thank You for taking my suggestion seriously!

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Stringence wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:13 pm So, perhaps it's something for update 3.2.1?

Anyway, thank You for taking my suggestion seriously!
3.2.1 will be a maintenance release, so no. Expect it more for 3.3 ;)

Rhino.Freak

Post by Rhino.Freak »

Uncompromisable feature additions for 3.3:
- one click update (or as user/noob friendly as possible).
- upload extensions extension made default? Maybe it can even be bundled with 3.2 release?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Rhino.Freak wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:19 am- one click update (or as user/noob friendly as possible).
Yeah that's what will probably come out of this discussion especially since it ties into the installer work that has been done for 3.2.
Rhino.Freak wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:19 am- upload extensions extension made default? Maybe it can even be bundled with 3.2 release?
There will probably be something added to the core to provide the functionality but we would definitely not be including the extension itself.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

In fact I have never saw any extension/MOD included into the core code since the age of times.

(Somebody could argue about the attachments MOD and a few others, rare exceptions though, and written by the developers).

As I mentioned in this topic the IDEA should be included.
3Di wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:34 pm So to speak, also the idea of the the extension above mentioned should be a part of the core code.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades