Complete redesign of the update process?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
RMcGirr83

Re: Complete redesign of the update process?

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Stringence wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pmWhen putting gas in a car, we know what we're doing. Updating phpBB software, lot's of people do not.
And how did you know how to do that? Right because you've been doing it over and over and over for years. Lot's of people screw up updating windows on a laptop, the most common reason for that is they don't have their laptop plugged into the wall when they do the update and then the battery dies which then toasts the whole system
It's too easy to get it wrong.
How is it too easy to "get wrong". If you don't have the files in the correct spot you won't even be presented with the option to update it.
I've crashed my entire board system twice: reinstall, and restore from backup.
Then that would be an issue of PEBKAC and it's interesting that you stated you restored from a backup when, according to this you aren't aware of what phpmyadmin is.
An update process should never put the whole system at risk, like with phpBB.
Please read my comment concerning updating a windows box.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Stringence

Post by Stringence »

I've never used phpmyadmin, and I still don't know what that tool is.

There have been times when the update process couldn't complete, why I'll never know - and my board crashed:

Through FTP I erased the whole phpBB-board from my server, reinstalled it from scratch with the latest complete version of phpBB, and then used the restore-feature from txt/gz-backup in ACP. 3.0.x backups into 3.1.x was not possible. Reinstalled 3.0.x, restore backup, and then tried to upgrade it to 3.1.x. It took about week, but finally it worked.

Again, with a button one-click updating process, this could never happen. I assume of course that I messed up the update process the times it went wrong.

And that's my point, I shouldn't be able to mess it up.

I've never messed up an update of a virus program. FTP FileZilla, another example, let's me know when there's an update, I click "Update", it will process for a few seconds, and then restarts nice and easy. These two product update's have never crashed on me. Same with two other product updates on my server, never crashed.

Like I wrote in the topic you refer to, all I can do is argue my case, and ask for improvements.
Last edited by Stringence on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

In fact there is a new feature ticked created on purpose. :)

I did create it because I believe that something should be done about that.
Let's see what happens, ofcourse nothing in a day or two, that's normal.

Regards.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Stringence

Post by Stringence »

That's a good start.

Rome wasn't built in one day.
Last edited by Stringence on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I know. 8-) :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Stringence wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 pm I've never used phpmyadmin, and I still don't know what that tool is.

There have been times when the update process couldn't complete, why I'll never know - and my board crashed:

Through FTP I erased the whole phpBB-board from my server, reinstalled it from scratch with the latest complete version of phpBB, and then used the restore-feature from txt/gz-backup in ACP. 3.0.x backups into 3.1.x was not possible. Reinstalled 3.0.x, restore backup, and then tried to upgrade it to 3.1.x. It took about week, but finally it worked.

Again, with a button one-click updating process, this could never happen. I assume of course that I messed up the update process the times it went wrong.

And that's my point, I shouldn't be able to mess it up.

I've never messed up an update of a virus program. FTP FileZilla, another example, let's me know when there's an update, I click "Update", it will process for a few seconds, and then restarts nice and easy. These two product update's have never crashed on me. Same with two other product updates on my server, never crashed.

Like I wrote in the topic you refer to, all I can do is argue my case, and ask for improvements.
Until then, you could use the method described under No, I do not have MODs section (as i guess you don't have MODs).

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Also, it should be possible to write an extension for this in 3.2.x, if anyone wants to do that.

david63

Post by david63 »

CHItA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:20 pm Also, it should be possible to write an extension for this in 3.2.x, if anyone wants to do that.
Wouldn't that really be just an extension (sorry about the pun) of the Upload Extensions extension?
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

So to speak, also the idea of the the extension above mentioned should be a part of the core code.
So I guess we are going round in circles?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

No. The point is that if someone wanted to do this in 3.2 they can do so with an extension because that version would not be getting anything that comes out of this topic. If something is done as a result of this topic it would apply to the next version. 3.2 is feature frozen.