[RFC] Language packs should have .cfg file

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
3Di

[RFC] Language packs should have .cfg file

Post by 3Di »

Hi again,
one more request for comments here. :)

While the styles have the style.cfg file that states the phpBB version (since Ascraeus) have been made for, the language packs do not. Having a such file helps the supporters to find potential issues while/after upgrading a phpBB version to another one, nonetheless.

Regards.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

david63

Re: [RFC] Language packs should have .cfg file

Post by david63 »

I can see the logic in the idea - in fact rather than having another file it could probably be a line in the common.php language file.

The only thing that would be of concern would be that it would not guarantee that all language files were version compatible (and thinking about it the same caveat applies to styles - although I would hope that is something that the styles team verify)
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

In behalf the Styles Team is doing the right job, the guys that are validating (Ext Team?) the language packs will surely make sure of that bit. Yes, not having another file it is a good idea though lurking at one short file like style.cfg is better and consistent with the core code. I wrote a loop to get the phpBB version of language packs but was a PITA, I have had to rely on the language codechanges and still have to update the tool every time a new version comes out, it is a no-no by my side and I gave up to offer this check as a feature.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I am thinking about the possibility to add this bit to the /language/*/iso.txt file.

Intended both for Ascraeus and Rhea.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

The intial idea for the next feature release is actually to make use of a composer.json for styles and languages:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4129

This should also open the door for installing styles/languages similar to the proposed new method for extensions:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/3909

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Thanks Marc,
I am seeing the good job done there but unfortunately both of them have been delayed to 3.3.

Here, instead, I am talking about something very easy to do: add the fourth line to the iso.txt file, it doesn't harms the actual logic because it looks just up to the third key as far I have seen, so it will be trasparent to the core code.
Instead allows coders like me to better give detailed results while supporting (that's for both Ascraeus and Rhea).. a long term support time to be given.

Code: Select all

British English
British English
phpBB Limited
phpbb_version = 3.1.9
david63 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:38 pm I can see the logic in the idea - in fact rather than having another file it could probably be a line in the common.php language file.
Like has been done with Olympus, I agree. The side note is that in Olympus it only says the language version not the phpBB version has been made for.

Code: Select all

* @package language
* @version 1.0.8
I will be more than glad to create a ticket and a PR if you agree.