Realtime floating (ajax) notifications

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
request

Realtime floating (ajax) notifications

Post by request »

What do you think of building a ajax driven notification system that warns you directly when:

1 Someone quote your post,
2 incoming new pm
3 New posts in you subscribed topics

This can be disabled by admin or user.

Comparable what they have by default in xenforo and ipb, and by extension mybb.
Last edited by request on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhino.Freak

Re: Floating (ajax) notifications

Post by Rhino.Freak »

If I understand you correctly, you mean to have a real time notification system?
I actually agree on that. Notification system should be real time only, that's what it is everywhere.

request

Post by request »

phpbb already has a notification system based on email. My suggestion is to use ajax notifications in the browser itself. It notifies you automatically when someone quote your post or sending a PM without manually refresh your webpage.

Like this:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-119331.html

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

phpBB already has notifications system since 3.1. Ajaxifying will probably not occur in a foreseeable future.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I believe the concept here (do not take as an example to follow the mybb solution/code, pls) is to have a real-time notification system, that's what of the majority social sites have and not only, is the present.

I find that very useful, then a +1.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

request

Post by request »

Senky wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:37 pm phpBB already has notifications system since 3.1. Ajaxifying will probably not occur in a foreseeable future.
A realtime notification system based on ajax would appreciated. No plugin?

Now you'll need to refresh manually before you can see the notification. So it is NOT realtime.

request

Re: Realtime floating (ajax) notifications

Post by request »

What do you think of accelerating more functionality with ajax? Of course all optional and being able to disable it by admin or user.

Goal is to push content and notifications from server instead of refresh page manually.

-Auto refresh ajax (5-10 seconds)
--Automatically add/push new posts to topic.
--Automatically refresh/push (active) topic lists
or shows a button alert 'X new posts added'. Shows new posts directly (with a click) without complete manual refresh.

-Push notifications

Live activity stream

request

Post by request »

Senky wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:37 pm phpBB already has notifications system since 3.1. Ajaxifying will probably not occur in a foreseeable future.
Still no plans to introduce realtime ajax notifications?

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Realtime floating (ajax) notifications

Post by Senky »

Not in the core. I am thinking of it as an extension, but I am currently occupied with much more important things.