Sticky/Announc. Permissions to Global Permissions ?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Goeienhender

Sticky/Announc. Permissions to Global Permissions ?

Post by Goeienhender »

I think it is strange that 'Can post stickies' and 'Can post announcement' is set with Forum Based Permission (e.g. in the 'Full Access' role). It may suit better some where in Global Permissions (e.g. in the 'Standard/Full Moderator' role).

This would solve my problem where I wish to grand my moderators Sticky/Announcement permission. My moderators are in custom groups which sets which forums they can access with 'Standard Access'. And they are in the group 'Global Moderators'.
Corresponding topic: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2361566

As I see it there are two different types of permissions:
1) Forum Based Permissions: Defining the access to forums (No Access / Read / Write)
2) Global Permissions: Defining features which can be performed as User / Moderator / Admin.

Posting Stickies and Announcements suits better under type 2 than under type 1 in my believe.

PS> I something still find setting permissions confusing so please correct my if I'm wrong.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Sticky/Announc. Permissions to Global Permissions ?

Post by DavidIQ »

The permissions are correct where they are. If you wanted a moderator to be able to post stickies or announcements in one forum but not another you wouldn't be able to do that if those were global permissions. What you'll need to do is have a permissions mask for the moderators and use that permissions mask for them in all of your forums (there might even be a mask for this already).

Goeienhender

Post by Goeienhender »

So then you would set Global Moderators the role Full Access to all forums off the board and have to create a Never Access role for every forum they are not allowed to enter. This will get very messy if their access is defined with Group Permissions and User Permissions as moderators (can) have varying access to the board.

A solution might be to set 'Can post Sticky/Announcement' as a Global Permissions as well as a Forum Based Permission. I see that this is the way that it's done for Moderator Permissions -> Topic Actions. So locking/merging etc permission can be set both ways, either globally with the role Standard Moderator in Global Permissions and forum based with the role Standard Moderator set in Forum Based Permissions (User or Group Forum Permissions -> Moderative Permissions).

Maybe it is more a question of definition: is 'Can post Stickies/Announcements' a permission that should be for moderators such as locking/moving or is it a permission for groups/users which should be defined for forums individually?
DavidIQ wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 am If you wanted a moderator to be able to post stickies or announcements in one forum but not another you wouldn't be able to do that if those were global permissions.
This sounds more like something which you should set per user in Forum Based Permissions -> Forum Moderators right? So set Stickie/Announcements right in the role Standard Moderator (which is a global role) and appoint the forum moderators this role for the desired forum.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Setting permissions per user is usually not a very good way to manage permissions, although that might work for some. Group permissions are normally the way to go.

Also the action of posting stickies and announcements is not a moderator only permission at all since it has nothing to do with moderators and actions they would normally take on a board.