Complete redesign of the update process?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Complete redesign of the update process?

Post by DavidIQ »

CHItA wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:13 pm If you use one of the automatic options, you don't have to. If you have merge conflicts, then you do, but that's only for those who modified core files, so it doesn't seems to relevant for this discussion.

Downloading update package from .com to your install is doable, but it might have some security implications.
When I said "download" I meant the actual download package from phpbb.com, not download file differences. Right now the only way to update a phpBB installation is to directly download an update package or changed files zip from phpbb.com, unzip, then upload to an installation and run the database update (unless you have shell access to your site then you could just keep a clone of the phpBB repo and keep an update script of some sort...but that's another story). For smaller sites this should be as easy as possible, where one could just push a button to take care of it instead of finding time to be at a computer with an FTP client. It could even be extended to be fully automated with no intervention from the user, ever.

I think what is being asked for is to do this automatically instead of having to do this extra manual labor. If we went that route it would probably reduce update errors as well I think. However the title "Complete redesign of the update process" is kind of a misnomer as doing that is not really necessary, but if it also implies removing the file-compare functionality then I feel that's fine as well at this point. I know there was discussion not long ago about the file-compare functions not working well so this might be an opportunity to consider removing them.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

DavidIQ wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:53 pm For smaller sites this should be as easy as possible, where one could just push a button to take care of it instead of finding time to be at a computer with an FTP client. It could even be extended to be fully automated with no intervention from the user, ever.
That shouldn't be too hard to do I think, although the "fully automated" implementation probably is not the best idea.

Thanks for the explanation.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Yeah, the "fully automated" update/upgrade (like what WordPress does) is not a good idea.

Just a button in the ACP (hit it and update) would suffice.

Stringence

Post by Stringence »

The 15 manual steps are actually 16 after a careful count:

1. Download the automatic package 31x to 31x.
2. Unpack the zip-file.
3. Using FTP to send up the install-catalogue to the forum.
4. In web browser go to install-catalogue.
5. Click on tap "Update".
6. Click on button "Continue to the next step".
7. Click on button "Check files".
8. Page "File information" appears, click on button "Download modified file archive (recommended)".
9. Choose the zip-format, click button "Download".
10. Unpack the second zip-file.
11. Upload all catalogues in this zip to the forum, in FTP choose to overwrite all files of the same names.
12. Return to web browser and click on button "Continue update". (it must succeed to be able to proceed).
13. Click on button "Update database".
14. Click on button "Update my database now".
15. Click on button "Continue update process now".
16. Erase the install-catalogue on the server.

This is insane. Again, if you're not an educated and experienced programmer or database expert, you're toast.

There's not much of "automatic" in this automatic process, is there?

Personnally, I'm scared stiff every time I perform the updates, the system have totally crashed on some occations. I must have 3-4 hours available in case this happens.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

After careful count there are 30 steps to put gas in your car
  1. Open car door
  2. get in car
  3. start car
  4. put shifter into gear
  5. depress accelerator
  6. drive to gas station
  7. depress brake
  8. put shifter into park
  9. turn off car
  10. get out of car
  11. open gas tank door
  12. unscrew gas tank cap
  13. pick up gas nozzle
  14. insert gas nozzle into gas tank opening
  15. swipt credit card
  16. select debit or credit
  17. select if want receipt or not
  18. select grade
  19. press handle to dispense gas
  20. wait until gas has been dispensed
  21. take out gas nozzle
  22. replace nozzle back into gas delivery machine
  23. screw gas tank cap back on
  24. close gas tank lid
  25. open car door
  26. start car
  27. depress brake
  28. place shifter into gear
  29. release brake and press on accelerator
  30. drive off into the sunset
I'm scared stiff every time I have to put gas in my car. And if there is diesel it makes it even more troublesome. :roll:

Not everything needs to, or should, be automatic.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 am Not everything needs to, or should, be automatic.
I didn't see you changing gears while driving? :o

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

He is on automatic transmission ;)
RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 amput shifter into park

Stringence

Post by Stringence »

Are You for real?

When putting gas in a car, we know what we're doing. Updating phpBB software, lot's of people do not.

I, and I suspect others, don't have time for fiddling with the current update procedure. It's too easy to get it wrong. I've crashed my entire board system twice: reinstall, and restore from backup.

An update process should never put the whole system at risk, like with phpBB. A convenient update button i ACP, like in an antivirus program: click, wait for update to finish, done.

Can you smart phpBB-people make this happen, or not?

That's my question.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:53 pmHowever the title "Complete redesign of the update process" is kind of a misnomer as doing that is not really necessary, but if it also implies removing the file-compare functionality then I feel that's fine as well at this point. I know there was discussion not long ago about the file-compare functions not working well so this might be an opportunity to consider removing them.
I managed to change the title and description of the ticket.
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14518

If someone have a better descro to put there I will be more than glad to change it again.

On a side note:
you all do not know how many steps needs an original Bolognese Ragout in order to be made. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Stringence wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:01 pm Can you smart phpBB-people make this happen, or not?
It won't be part of 3.2.x for sure, but we could do that later. Actually it should be fairly easy to implement (some) of it, the question is how it should work.

Please also keep in mind, that the update process should be design in a way that provides people with a way to update, even if their hosting solution comes with a lot of restrictions.