Enabling to translate "Re:" on others languages

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Qiaeru

Re: Enabling to translate "Re:" on others languages

Post by Qiaeru »

Or can we just remove the prefix?

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

If we display the title of replies, they should say Re: for obvious reasons (because the replies are re: the o.p.)

Rather than remove it, it's more likely to consider removing the title from replies altogether, as some other current bbs have already done.

However, this looks quite odd in prosilver. So, in my opinion, it's best left alone in prosilver and should be revisited when a new more modern theme is made for future phpBB where the design can take into account the omission of the topic reply titles.
Has an irascible disposition.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Nicofuma wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:15 am It can't be split from the title because it is a part a the title (you can edit it)
Maybe I was not clear enough with what I meant. I am aware of the fact that currently it is part of the title. What I tried to say was that maybe in a future version it should be separated from the title to enable the translation of "Re:".

Personally I would go with what Maël Soucaze suggested and remove it completely. If I reply to a topic it is obviously a reply. I do not need an indication telling me that I or someone else replied. But that's something for a different topic.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

DarkBeing wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:30 pm If I reply to a topic it is obviously a reply. I do not need an indication telling me that I or someone else replied. But that's something for a different topic.
On the forum list how would you be able tell if it's a reply or a new topic then? I made an extension for a board because the owner wanted to remove the "Re:" and it looks pretty confusing when you click on a topic title from the forum index thinking it is a new topic and see that there are many replies to it instead.

Qiaeru

Post by Qiaeru »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:35 pm
DarkBeing wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:30 pm If I reply to a topic it is obviously a reply. I do not need an indication telling me that I or someone else replied. But that's something for a different topic.
On the forum list how would you be able tell if it's a reply or a new topic then? I made an extension for a board because the owner wanted to remove the "Re:" and it looks pretty confusing when you click on a topic title from the forum index thinking it is a new topic and see that there are many replies to it instead.
For example, instead of:
Re: Enabling to translate "Re…
by DavidIQ
20 Dec 2015 15:35
It's possible to display:
Enabling to translate "Re…
Replied by DavidIQ
With this, we can easily change Replied in a case of a newly topic, like "Posted", or "Created", etc. It's I18n-friendly.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Maël Soucaze wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:02 pm For example, instead of:
Re: Enabling to translate "Re…
by DavidIQ
It's possible to display:
Enabling to translate "Re…
Replied by DavidIQ
With this, we can easily change Replied in a case of a newly topic, like "Posted", or "Created", etc. It's I18n-friendly.
That makes sense and I like that idea.