Resize large images in signatures to 300px

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Resize large images in signatures to 300px

Post by Dragosvr92 »

People can use one or more very large images into their signatures. These are resized to display in the available space, but they shouldnt as they can take a lot of space and add extra scrolling just to see someone's exaggeratedly large sig image.

I made screenshots with before and after the use of a large image, and resizing it to 333px. Any opinions?
Attachments
As it is now with max-width:100%;
As it is now with max-width:100%;
As it should be with max-width:333px;
As it should be with max-width:333px;
Previous user: TheKiller

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Resize large images in signatures to 300px

Post by MattF »

Extensions
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Why not just use the Maximum signature image width and Maximum signature image height settings? I presume that it prevents adding large signatures, but if it scales the image to fit the space, I'm not sure how excessive scrolling occurs (I can see why page load times will be longer).

Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I dont understand why terribly simple solutions should be added into extensions that could enhance the user experience by reducing pageload speed and the hassle to scroll around long-nonsense images. It is just one line of css. It makes no sense having a large image on fullsize in each signature.
It takes too much space. The signature should be something short that is somewhat meaningful/relevant to the user who has it....

Pony99CA, I didnt know of those settings, where can they be found?
I believe they just detect the image size and denies you submit the image. Having the user to adjust it locally to the allowed sizes.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:00 amPony99CA, I didnt know of those settings, where can they be found?
In the signature settings of the ACP.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:40 am
Dragosvr92 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:00 amPony99CA, I didnt know of those settings, where can they be found?
In the signature settings of the ACP.
I see, thanks. But i see they just detect the image size and denies you submit the image. Having the user to adjust it locally to the allowed sizes.
What about resizing the image via css? Or do you think this would be better of as an extension and not a core feature?

Ger

Post by Ger »

Resizing it using CSS will still result in all users downloading the entire image. If some people are crazy enough to use a 5MB photo as their signature, people browsing on their mobile phone won't be happy.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Ger wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:52 am Resizing it using CSS will still result in all users downloading the entire image. If some people are crazy enough to use a 5MB photo as their signature, people browsing on their mobile phone won't be happy.
Which is probably why violating the size constraint denies uploading the image instead of re-sizing it.

Now if the re-sizing could be done server-side to fit the constraints, that might be useful.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Pony99CA wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:49 am
Ger wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:52 am Resizing it using CSS will still result in all users downloading the entire image. If some people are crazy enough to use a 5MB photo as their signature, people browsing on their mobile phone won't be happy.
Which is probably why violating the size constraint denies uploading the image instead of re-sizing it.

Now if the re-sizing could be done server-side to fit the constraints, that might be useful.

Steve
:?: you can't upload files for signature use only...

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:44 pm :?: you can't upload files for signature use only...
"Which is probably why violating the size constraint denies submitting the image instead of re-sizing it."
He made a mistake. Its not uploading but submitting/accepting to attach the image to the signature.