Add the birthday Custom profile field in the ACP

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Add the birthday Custom profile field in the ACP

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Currently, we have no way to control the birthday custom profile field from the ACP.
Not without an extension or two to add the functionality of a basic cpf.

We should be able to make the Birthdate CPF Requiered on registration, and display it in the viewtopic user profile.
We can do this for all other default cprofile fields; Location, Interests, Occupation, Website, facebook, skype, etc. Why not the birthdate?
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Add the birthday Custom profile field in the ACP

Post by DavidIQ »

Because it is tied into a feature of the forum so it won't be as simple as making it a cpf as things will break if the admin decides to delete the birthday field, for example.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:42 pm Because it is tied into a feature of the forum so it won't be as simple as making it a cpf as things will break if the admin decides to delete the birthday field, for example.
So, deny the deletion for the birthday CPF. We should have the possibility to manage that feature, as we do with any CPF.
Pre-defined groups are also tied to board features and their deletion is denied.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Forget about just using birthdays. It would be nice to have a generic system for including user attributes in profile fields. Maybe everything displayed in the user's profile (user name, rank, join date, etc.) should be a non-deleteable, non-editable (the data isn't editable, the display settings would be) CPF. Then the user profile would only display CPFs that the admin has decided to allow.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Lets just do it one at a time and focus on adding this first. :P It seems more relevant than the rest of tweakie cpf settings.

The only feature i see that should be hidden is the Join date. The username is a must have, and the rank, pretty much the same.
I dont know why someone would want to disable a rank for a certain user, or all. If they dont want to use ranks, post count ranks, dont make them. It wont bother me having these settings added, but i dont see them that necessary.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

If you do it the right way, it should be easy to generalize. Don't put special code in for one thing that won't work with another.

You don't have to expose all of the items as CPFs (like username), but there's no reason why it couldn't be there, either. For example, I may not want people's profiles to show occupation and location even though they enter it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Pony99CA wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:36 am You don't have to expose all of the items as CPFs (like username), but there's no reason why it couldn't be there, either. For example, I may not want people's profiles to show occupation and location even though they enter it.
Well yes, for those you have a point. We should be able to hide them too. The Username and rank, meh.
Should i make a ticket?

Later Edit:
I believe the Allow birthdays, under ACP/Board Features/ should be also moved inside the CPF?
The Enable birthday listing option should stay there, but it should work nomatter if the Allow Birthday feature is enabled or not.
CPF and Loadsettings for the general forum are separated.