phpBB 3.2.0-a1 released

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Re: phpBB 3.2.0-a1 released

Post by CHItA »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:45 pm OK, the random characters are base64 encoded. If I run the characters through a decoder I can see the source code:

Code: Select all

<?php 
session_start();

/**
* This file is part ...
So the problem is that raw base64 is being generated, which the browser is displaying in that raw format.
That is weird as phpBB doesn't have any files starting like that...

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Yep it's defintely the phpBB files.

I just tried viewing files in the root of the forum and I think I found the problem. Some of the files such as:

faq.php
index.php
mcp.php

are all base64 encoded.

I don't know if my sftp client converted it, or the update process did. Will start again and try and find out why this has happened.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Which update method have you used?

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Ok, confirmed this base64 problem is due to the download of modified files.

I used the From 3.1.5 - > Automatic Update Package from 3.1.5 - zip

from here: https://area51.phpbb.com/downloads/

Running the update process states that faq.php, index.php ... are modified and do not represent the original files from the old version. As to why that is I may have modified them myself at some stage. Anyway these files:
modified-files.jpg
are then downloaded as a .tar file. If I then view the downloaded file it has been base64 encoded.
base64-encoded.jpg
Of course, when I then upload the file to the server the forum is just going to display the contents (the base64 encoded characters).

As a work around for now I can

a) base64_decode the files manually
b) upload the current 3.2 files from the 3.2 source

Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

OK, I uploaded the 3.2 version of the files (not the downloaded merged files) and all is working fine, so the issue is with the download to .tar format storing the files as base64. As to if this is due to my rig or a common problem I do not know.

----

A separate issue if someone else gets this is that I was receiving this error:

allowed memory size XXXXXXX bytes exhausted in vendor/patchwork/utf8/class/Patchwork/PHP/Shim/Mbstring.php

This happened because PHP was not compiled with mbstring. I had to recompile with the config option

--enable-mbstring

If you installed via yum you need to do this:

yum install php-mbstring

---

Anyway. Great work team.

I really needed 3.2 to happen so that I can use PHP7. If anyone wants a 15-20-25%+ performance boost for zero cost then install PHP7.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:09 pm OK, I uploaded the 3.2 version of the files (not the downloaded merged files) and all is working fine, so the issue is with the download to .tar format storing the files as base64. As to if this is due to my rig or a common problem I do not know.
I created a ticket, when the patch gets merged it should be fixed. Nice find, and thank you for the details, and the investigation.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Someone want to explain to me how to get the update package to install? downloaded the automatic update package for 3.1.6, extracted the directories to the root of the forum visited the ACP page and all I get is that the install directory is present. I don't see a way for me to be able to run the updater.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

david63

Post by david63 »

CHItA wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:05 pm You should be able to run the updater by using /install/app.php.
That seems to start it off - but mine gave up when it said it could not delete files (not had time to look into it further)
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Time for another ticket I suppose. Clicking on the download link to look for conflicts I get this

Call to a member function format_date() on a non-object in F:\xampp\htdocs\qi\boards\315\install\update\new\includes\functions.php on line 4168

and then the missing lang var CANNOT_DELETE_FILES

Sort of begs the question as to how this site was able to be updated.

Thus endth that.
Last edited by RMcGirr83 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

david63

Post by david63 »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:04 am Sort of begs the question as to how this site was able to be updated.
And the other question - where is the changed files/database_update option?
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!