How do I search JIRA (bug tracker) for my comments?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Lady_G

How do I search JIRA (bug tracker) for my comments?

Post by Lady_G »

I would like to find a comment I made in JIRA. I did not report the bug, so I can only search on comment fields owned by me.

How can this be done using the JQL syntax? A google search suggests that a plugin is needed.

Code: Select all

issueFunction in commented("by Lady_G")
Results in "Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.", so I think there is no plugin.

Is searching for my comments possible in JIRA?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: How do I search JIRA (bug tracker) for my comments?

Post by DavidIQ »

What plugin is needed?

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

From this Altassian discussion: How can I filter for all issues where I have commented?

The recommended plugin is ScriptRunner for JIRA, but it is not free and might not work (as of August 20, 2013).

Also recommended is a free add-on: AM Utils, which has a "My commented issues" JQL function.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Installed the AM Utils one. Give it a try now, although a reindexing is in progress so searches might be a little slow right now.
Last edited by DavidIQ on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Indexing is now done.

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

It works, thank you. The documentation wiki provides the syntax, but no examples are provided. I was able to find an example elsewhere.

There are 2 functions. The first function, "commentedIssues(?)", will find your own comments. You must be logged in to use this function. To capture all of my comments in JIRA, I picked an arbitrarily long duration of 2000 days.

issue in commentedIssues("2000d")
The second function, "userCommentedIssues(?1, ?2)", will find the comments of any user. You do not need to be logged in to use this function.

issue in userCommentedIssues("Lady_G", "2000d")
I can now use JQL to further refine my search. This query will find my comments containing the text "bug":

issue in userCommentedIssues("Lady_G", "2000d") AND comment ~"bug"
The functions appear in the JQL auto-complete search. Type "issue in" and the functions will appear in the context sensitive drop-down list.

I had some difficulty with my browser. First, I needed to enable cookies for tracker.phpbb.com or I would get a server error. I had already whitelisted phpbb.com, but I needed to add tracker.phpbb.com.

Next, I need to do a page reload when entering a new query or hitting the "back" button in my browser. I don't need to do this every time, but a page reload will fix this error:
Error occurred communicating with the server. Please reload the page and try again.