Which IE versions should we kill?

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB's style.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB or modifying styles of released phpBB versions. If you need support for phpBB please visit the Support Forums on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding creating styles please post in Styles Support & Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Which Internet Explorer versions should we kill?

IE8
15%
IE8 and IE9
29%
IE8, IE9 and IE10
8%
All of them!
38%
I love IE
9%

Total votes: 78

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Which IE versions should we kill?

Post by DavidIQ »

Volksdevil wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm I genuinely struggle to believe that. Test, go here: http://www.opelmanta400.uk/ Tell me how smooth the CSS3 image transition is (Not) for you in I.E. The image of the car that slides in...
Now try it in Chrome...See any difference? In fact, hear any difference too? In I.E there's a stupid 'tick' noise at the end of the audio, and yet it's just a HTML5 audio tag. That's two issues on one very simple page of a website.
Since I read your message on my iPad I decided to conduct a small experiment. Here's what I did on my Windows 10 machine:
  1. Opened up Notepad and typed in your URL then copied it to my clipboard.
  2. Fired up Chrome
  3. While waiting for Chrome to finish loading I opened up Edge, pasted the copied URL into the address bar, and saw the animation just fine with no perceptible problems that I could see and heard the sound play.
  4. Finally Chrome loads and I paste and load the URL there. Of course the animation looks fine and sound seems the same to me.
  5. Opened up Task Manager:
    • Chrome's memory usage: 55.3 MB (with only one tab open)
    • Edge's memory usage: 24.7 MB (both your site and this site currently open)
Why Chrome has to use double the amount of my system's memory to show half the amount of websites I have no clue, and this is why I don't really use Chrome all that much, except when I really need to: use my Chromecast at home or chat on Hangouts at work through the Gmail site (policy blocks all extensions). Khaos-Rage is dead-on. ;)

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

It may use a lot of RAM, but as said:
RAM exists for a reason: if your computer can store lots of stuff in its short-term memory, then it can recall those things quickly later on. And if your computer doesn’t end up needing that stuff, it will toss it away to make room for other programs that need those resources.

So, by that logic, having your RAM almost full can be a good thing. It becomes a bad thing when your RAM is constantly full and slowing down your system. If what you’re doing needs more RAM than your computer has to offer, it’ll start swapping some of that short-term memory to your computer’s hard drive, which is much slower.

HTG Explains: Why It’s Good That Your Computer’s RAM Is Full
In a nutshell: Don’t flip out just because Chrome is using lots of RAM. That means its doing its job. If it’s taking up so much RAM that things are noticeably slowing down, however, you do indeed have a problem.
Do you not want to use the full capability of your available RAM? :?

I find it strange, I really do...that ever since I started using Chrome, I've always found it so much faster, smoother, more reliable than any I.E version and yet others find I.E better. I can have 20 tabs open in Chrome (Like I have right now!) and never any issues, with I.E11 It struggles with 3! I always find that my PC's fan speed jumps up a lot whenever I try to open more tabs on I.E11 too, whereas on Chrome it's always pretty constant.
EDIT: This is all on a desktop PC with 8GB of RAM, WIN7 btw.

Regards experiment...I did one too. Side by side, quite an obvious difference.

https://youtu.be/DWgAsIVTQZc

PS: The sound thing was an error on my part, or rather filezilla's! Now corrected.
Last edited by Volksdevil on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Don't know what to tell you. I thought that maybe Edge renders it better since on my laptop it looks like your Chrome rendition but I just tried it on the IE11 browser that comes with Windows 10 and I get the same smooth transition. :shrug:

Stop downloading so many toolbars yuo!!!!11111 :lol:

j/k

In any case I find the whole "this browser is better than that" very subjective and oftentimes mileage will vary. There was a time when everyone swore by FireFox and that it was the greatest thing that hit the Internet. Then it got dumped and stomped on by Chrome. Now there are lots of people that dislike FireFox for whatever reason. Others will dislike Chrome. Many will dislike IE. Still others will love Dolphin Browser, Opera, or Safari (for Windows). So on, so forth.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:44 am Stop downloading so many toolbars yuo!!!!11111 :lol:
:lol: I run my PC at an absolute minimum, zero toolbars! I'm a bit OCD like that. :oops:
But yeah, all this browser stuff certainly is subjective. Some will favor 'X', some will favor 'Y'. My own experience of using Chrome since its birth is that I've loved it since day 1.

Back to which versions we should kill...Obviously to rid all I.E is a little over the top, so maybe current stable version plus one or two older stable versions at most?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

why are we arguing about which browser is best
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Going4Quests

Post by Going4Quests »

Well, Microsoft is going to kill Internet Explorer itself, but only in Windows 10. Over the coming time more features will be added to IE and eventually when Edge has all entreprise functions, IE is getting removed in Windows 10.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

not really as they can not easily get rid of IE8 as previously stated by microsoft itself which is why 11+ has features to enable an IE8 viewing experience
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Going4Quests wrote:Well, Microsoft is going to kill Internet Explorer itself
Who cares what M$ is doing??

Its important to look @ browser stats and see whats being used the most :) (IE,firefox,etc)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Going4Quests wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:28 pm Well, Microsoft is going to kill Internet Explorer itself, but only in Windows 10.
Where has that been announced? I've read that IE has been kept in Windows 10 for enterprise compatibility. I have not heard that Edge will get those features.

Also, as a reminder, in January 2016, Microsoft will stop supporting all but the latest browser on a given OS. That may mean IE 9 for Vista and IE 11 for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. (I believe that Windows XP is no longer supported.) That could be something to base phpBB browser support on.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

dude111

Post by dude111 »

Well just because the software isnt supported doesnt mean people arent using it,important to remember that....

Im sure IE will be used for along time... (Many different versions)