[Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by callumacrae »

I mean my current job title is "Performance Engineer", and I'm saying to use SVGs instead of icon fonts. I think you're overstating the issue.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by hanakin »

I am open to suggestions and alternate options. Pls provide a proof of concept for comparisons as all the test that I have ran, the filesize and editability are more problematic compared to using icon font or images based on the fact that every alternate version of an icon including rollover states has to be hardcoded as a symbol since you have no access to the individual icons in an icon sprite via css.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

aleha

Post by aleha »

Arty wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:06 am Other points for SVG icons:
  • You can use multiple colors and some other stuff
  • They render identically in all browsers on all operating systems.
  • Easy to customize
In my opinion rendering differences is main reason why fonts suck. Browsers render fonts using different aliasing techniques on different operating systems, making them look inconsistent. Sometimes even glyph sizes vary.

Just look at last post icon on this forum - it looks rather good on Windows, but totally blows on OSX because of different rendering methods. It looks blurred. With SVG this wouldn't happen.
Similar to what Arty is mentioning, on a 13.3" inch laptop running linux, contact icon (and more) looks blurry using latest Firefox.
blurry.png

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

that is caused by a graphics card driver issue most like as its distorted not blurry

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

No, its caused by operating system settings for font rendering. On screenshot above it looks like anti-aliasing is disabled, which is done on operating system level.

Its not a bug. And that's another reason not to use glyph fonts.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Minor bug caused by changes in icons: icon on left side of "Post awaiting approval" inside messages is gone, but padding is still there.
unapproved_bug.png

Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

There's also a problem with "Mark topics read" (not sure if this needs reported to the tracker or not).
201510251103173.png
201510251103173.png (18.49 KiB) Viewed 98229 times

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

kinerity wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:06 pm There's also a problem with "Mark topics read" (not sure if this needs reported to the tracker or not).
201510251103173.png
Having a hard time figuring out what's wrong in your screenshot. The position?

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

its a js re-paint issue when u click mark-read it does not remove the icon until u refresh

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

To further demonstrate what people with dyslexia who replace the font see:

One in ten people have dyslexia.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog