[Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by callumacrae »

Required viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXBYcWgCHA

(seriously, really good talk)
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [Define New Theme] 8. Utilize Font Awesome icons where icons are needed to simplify server requests.

Post by DavidIQ »

The pending approval indicator could use some improvement as it's not really clear if it's part of the topic title or an icon. Before it was in a triangle so it was more distinct. The reported post indicator is just an exclamation mark but it is also red so it's a little more distinct.
Attachments
image.jpg

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DavidIQ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:34 pm The pending approval indicator could use some improvement as it's not really clear if it's part of the topic title or an icon. Before it was in a triangle so it was more distinct. The reported post indicator is just an exclamation mark but it is also red so it's a little more distinct.
I agree. Let's put the triangle back.

It's probably a bit off-topic, but they should also be placed before the title to make them stand out more. It's hard to scan a list of topics looking for reported or unapproved posts when the icons are at the end of the (varying length) titles.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:15 pm Required viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXBYcWgCHA
To summarize and save you 20+ minutes, icon fonts are bad for several reasons:
  • Some browsers don't support them (like Opera Mini)
  • Some browsers/operating systems without the font map icons to different things (Etsy had a half star end up like a horse head)
  • They don't work well in screen readers for visually-impaired or dyslexic users (despite what the first post here claimed)
  • People who replace the site's fonts with their own fonts (like a font designed for dyslexic users) get "boxes" instead of the desired icon
The recommendation was to use SVG (with a possible fallback to PNG if you want to support IE 8 or old Android browsers). Of course, there's a performance penalty, but SVG can also do a lot more than icon fonts.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Other points for SVG icons:
  • You can use multiple colors and some other stuff
  • They render identically in all browsers on all operating systems.
  • Easy to customize
In my opinion rendering differences is main reason why fonts suck. Browsers render fonts using different aliasing techniques on different operating systems, making them look inconsistent. Sometimes even glyph sizes vary.

Just look at last post icon on this forum - it looks rather good on Windows, but totally blows on OSX because of different rendering methods. It looks blurred. With SVG this wouldn't happen.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

the biggest issue against the use of svgs is filesize and the lack for proper support of sprites

css does not allow for alteration meaning that you have to edit the svgs themselves to make changes that should be made in the css.

This is not realistic for large uses of icons
DavidIQ wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:34 pm The pending approval indicator could use some improvement as it's not really clear if it's part of the topic title or an icon. Before it was in a triangle so it was more distinct. The reported post indicator is just an exclamation mark but it is also red so it's a little more distinct.
we can make it red but short of that its really anything else other than a complete design change
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Put them in a box. After all they're in a box in the topic and the icon was normally reused. Plus it's supposed to be a clickable icon, which I'm not sure if that's still the case, but the box would make it more apparent as well, I would think.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:04 pm Put them in a box. After all they're in a box in the topic and the icon was normally reused. Plus it's supposed to be a clickable icon, which I'm not sure if that's still the case, but the box would make it more apparent as well, I would think.
hmm something like the small paging buttons
Screenshot 2015-10-18 19.18.29.png
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

+1 That might work actually. Maybe get other's opinions first though to see if there's a better suggestion.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

+1
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM