PHPBB3-14227 - Trim topic titles so it wont messup the layout

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: PHPBB3-14227 - Trim topic titles so it wont messup the layout

Post by DavidIQ »

And at what point do we show the full title? You're making a needlessly long, non-sensical title to supposedly prove your point, but what if the long title makes sense? Then I can no longer look at the topic list and tell right away what it's about and I have to click on the topic to find out because someone decided to trim titles.

As for not showing titles in replies well give it a rest already. You lost that battle, were provided with ample reasons as to why it won't be removed (not yet anyways), and if it gets changed in the design overhaul of prosilver in 3.3/4.0/whatever then so be it. You rehashing that discussion makes you look like a sour apple and takes away from any semblance of facts/proper reasoning you might convey in a discussion.

Oh and by the way if you want to see what prosilver looks like without the "needlessly repeating" titles just take a trip back in time:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=723

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

When the screen resolution provides enough space. I am only making the longest title that phpbb allows, David. It doesnt matter what it says. Its point is only to use the maximum allowed number of characters in the title field and what the style looks like.

The post subject should make sense from its very first few words that will show. If you are interested in what you read, you can check the other last 2-6 words by hovering.

The topic has actually got more thumbs up than thumbs down though, even if the 'battle' is lost because there is some nostalgic number of people that dont like changing prosilver and they start protecting it. The discussion just stopped without a decision.

If it cant be removed, it could be made smaller and not so large and prominent as theres no need to make it so. All other forum softwares i have looked at, either have it made less prominent, or removed all together. Only phpbb's prosilver stays in the past because of some that got used with having it there. Also, even PayBass said that it adds clutter to the layout, and he is a StylesTeam member, so that should have counted for something.

I only rehashed it in two small references. In my opinion it made perfect sense to your reply as you were saying the layout needs fixing to better adjust contents and that there are still things that should change. And also was part of the discussion.

I know what it looks like, and that was because the topics made then were converted from phpbb2, which didnt had reply-titles.
It doesnt mean it couldnt look good, like in the two pngs you can see here. In YaBB, i really like the way the title is added. Its nicely done with taste. :D
Previous user: TheKiller

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

If we cant trim them, then i propose to shrink the title character limit and change prosilver to remove the "Views" and "Replies" data rows to provide more space to the title on resize. They are already being removed all together on window resize.

Maybe you wont like the shrinking characters limit, but the responsive topics list page should do some changes and avoid four lines for a title by making more space. The views row should be hidden first, then the Replies row, and the last post. Can remove the last posts date first, and then the last poster.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

you are proposing a major change to the layout of prosilver in a problematic at best area of its overall design. This as I have stated before is not something that will likely ever happen in the span of it due to these reasons and is best handled in a new/alternate theme.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I am proposing a minor change that is done by, limiting the maximum-characters-in-title variable.
Which that may be ignored, if it really bothers people if its changed.

But the main problem here is that the responsive viewforum pages arent made responsive properly.
The Replies, Views, Last post row-columns are staying unchanged and only the "Topics" column gets shrank and squeezing the title into up to four new lines, with the maximum topic-title characters counter.

The Replies and Views number isnt that important in my opinion. They should be removed and give more space to the Topic title column.
We could do that by placing both the Replies and Views number into one column, on resize. Or removing them on various screensizes.

Check what the board index and forumlist look like on 768px responsive width.
This is simple and it only requires some CSS tweaking in the responsive layout. At least, thats how i see it.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Again, this appears to be one of your personal taste issues that you want imposed on everybody. I also see no issue or problem here. You have your own board style...make a change to your own style and be done with it.
Has an irascible disposition.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

VSE wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:00 am Again, this appears to be one of your personal taste issues that you want imposed on everybody. I also see no issue or problem here. You have your own board style...make a change to your own style and be done with it.
I wouldnt call it personal taste. it is only how i see the standards of a board bulletin and how others look like. I dont appreciate how people accuse how it it is personal tastes or theres no room for improvements as everything is 'perfect', just to get away from doing the work mostly.

Everything i say here has nothing to do with my board. I could do the changes myself yes, i am here to propose what i think should be improved to phpbb itself. I think that is why everyone comes here. Otherwise, they would be on phpbb.com. So these pushbacks arguments should stop.

It is like with Google Mapmaker. But there are whole communities complaining about the terrible, old and bugged UI but the staff insists there is nothing wrong, as they dont have the people to fix it.

Imo, i gave straight facts on why the views and replies statistics are less relevant and they should be merged into one column, or have them disappear, to provide more space to the relevant topic titles. I have the feeling that nobody listens though. I said why i think it should be changed. Not imposing anything. Tell me why staying as it is is better than what i am suggesting.
This is what it looks like on a 768 width.
This is what it looks like on a 768 width.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Please understand that the most difficult aspect of prosilver to make changes to from a code/design stand point is the topicrow. For countless reasons and as one of the individuals most likely to make any said changes to it I am saying that it's not going to happen in prosilver anytime soon if ever. The changes you refer to are more intricate than you would think. As such are better addressed during an initial design phase from the very beginning. Let me assure you that your points are very well understood and noted. Further discussion on these points does not achieve any more notoriety than you have already but instead it begins to just dilute the credibility of them.

Please take this into consideration when responding.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

hanakin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:05 am Please understand that the most difficult aspect of prosilver to make changes to from a code/design stand point is the topicrow. For countless reasons and as one of the individuals most likely to make any said changes to it I am saying that it's not going to happen in prosilver anytime soon if ever. The changes you refer to are more intricate than you would think. As such are better addressed during an initial design phase from the very beginning. Let me assure you that your points are very well understood and noted. Further discussion on these points does not achieve any more notoriety than you have already but instead it begins to just dilute the credibility of them.

Please take this into consideration when responding.
I honestly dont see what is so difficult about modifying the topicrow. It is just template and theme alterations.
The way they did the topicrow in we_clearblue theme looks perfect imho. It looks more clean, straightforward and modern.

I guess my frustration with prosilver is that it is just too old in its layout. Not many changes are added to it and it takes too much for some to happen.
hanakin wrote:Let me assure you that your points are very well understood and noted.
If that is so, then i have nothing more to add. I hope prosilver will have an update or replacement.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Dragosvr92 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:46 pm I honestly dont see what is so difficult about modifying the topicrow. It is just template and theme alterations.
The way they did the topicrow in we_clearblue theme looks perfect imho. It looks more clean, straightforward and modern.
just it you do not. That theme uses tables(which is an un-semantic crutch) to achieve its look which is why it appears cleaner to you. Its also not responsive which is where the real curveball comes from