New Supported File Format: 3D Files

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
SvenLittkowski

New Supported File Format: 3D Files

Post by SvenLittkowski »

It would be useful, if a new phpBB could display not only images, but also 3D files as rotatable objects. This would be extremely useful for forums that deal with 3D-rekated topics.

Pony99CA

Re: New Supported File Format: 3D Files

Post by Pony99CA »

What 3-D file formats do browsers support (like the old Quicktime VR format)? If a browser doesn't support it, I wouldn't count on phpBB implementing that.

If browsers do support a format(natively or via plug-ins), you'd probably need to make that an inline attachment or use an IMG tag to link to the image (or a new BBCode for 3-D models) and phpBB would need updates to support that type.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

SvenLittkowski

Post by SvenLittkowski »

Hmmmm, it is on my to get some more information on that subject. I just remember, that there was a forum I visited some time ago, you could upload your 3D files (STL format), and the forum showed them in a way that the user could even rotate the item and see it from all sides. When interested, the user could download the STL file or join a discussion about that particular item. It was pretty cool. I will try to get some more information on that.

Un1matr1x

Post by Un1matr1x »

and why should this be a core-feature and not done by an extension?

am i wrong or is this a really specific thing?

tmarone

Post by tmarone »

FWIW there is an API for that to be used.
http://www.thingiverse.com/developers