Google Ads enforces EU cookie legislation and demands we notify the visitor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Google Ads enforces EU cookie legislation and demands we notify the visitor

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Ive got this in my email....
Dear Publisher,

We want to let you know about a new policy about obtaining EU end-users’ consent that reflects regulatory and best practice guidance. It clarifies your duty to obtain end-user consent when you use products like Google AdSense, DoubleClick for Publishers, and DoubleClick Ad Exchange.

Please review our new EU user consent policy as soon as possible. This requires that you obtain EU end users’ consent to the storing and accessing of cookies and other information, and to the data collection, sharing, and usage that takes place when you use Google products. It does not affect any provisions on data ownership in your contract.

Please ensure that you comply with this policy as soon as possible, and not later than 30th September 2015.

If your site or app does not have a compliant consent mechanism, you should implement one now. To make this process easier for you, we have compiled some helpful resources at cookiechoices.org.

This policy change is being made in response to best practice and regulatory requirements issued by the European data protection authorities. These requirements are reflected in changes recently made on Google’s own websites.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,
The Google Policy Team
Are there any plans to include a notice in phpbb?
Previous user: TheKiller

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Re: Google Ads enforces EU cookie legislation and demands we notify the visitor

Post by Nicofuma »

There is mod and extensions for that.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Nicofuma wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:48 pm There is mod and extensions for that.
There is indeed. But it is a RC. The questions are, if it should be included in phpbb by default or take it over as an Official or validated extension as it will be required by Google services.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

Integrating Google Ads is not a core feature AFAIK, and if I understand correctly, the cookie notifications are only required when a site sets cookies for third-parties (that make it possible to track users). Although, the law is not consistant through out the EU, as the EU only has a directive, and the actual laws could be different by countries, so I think it is not really a core issue.

Elsensee
Former Team Member

Post by Elsensee »

I think that you could still add a cookie notice to the core with the ability to turn it on/off. It may just be enforced by EU law but it isn't a bad idea worldwide.

CHItA
Development Team
Development Team

Post by CHItA »

I think the EU law doesn't require us to do this, as the cookies the core places are required to be able to use the board (session id, etc). I think it is not required to ask for consent in case of those cookies, and also it is not even smart to do so.

Providing an API for doing that is fine, if anyone want to create a ticket and work on it, then I'm not against it.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

No, it is not. But considering that a service such as Google, and possibly many similar services to theirs, that include/add contents on your phpbb site, It becomes something necessary in the phpbb core as they will sanction you. We know how many people dont bother reading the Terms Of Agreement. It should just come on by default.... Maybe? I am just asking where the phpbb teams views stand about this.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Let's not add law nonsense to phpBB's core.

I hope that those behind the EU cookie legislation will be bombarded with cookie notices on daily basis at websites that they visit.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Louis7777 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:14 pm Let's not add law nonsense to phpBB's core.
I disagree. First, we already have such a feature (with COPPA). Second, I think that having an ACP area for such settings is a good idea. In fact, I wrote the Legal Settings Page RFC for it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

Pony99CA wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:00 am I disagree. First, we already have such a feature (with COPPA).
Yeah. We really shouldn't have that.