Gallery Avatars issue

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
NikolaCR

Gallery Avatars issue

Post by NikolaCR »

I would like to point out something that doesn't really have much to do with phpbb system itself rather than host itself. Good number of host tend to block people in the firewall after certain number of connections and requested has been logged. I noticed this happening by using the gallery avatar feature. What happens is that someone can put good number of pictures there, say 1000. I think that those are being loaded soon as you click on Edit Avatar settings in UCP. However, I am not 100% positive about this but I did noticed the avatar feature takes time to load if there are images in gallery. What I wanted to suggest is that if system can be changed to something like not loading said avatars when you click on avatar feature but load them one by one as you choose which one. I noticed that good number of hosts will flag the IP in the firewall and block you soon as you click on submit the gallery avatar. The page is previously loaded with all those avatars, but trying to apply the avatar tend to flag users and they might be blocked in the firewall of the host.

For instance, I tested this by uploading 700 images in the gallery, 500kb of memory. Once done I click on avatar feature in UCP, it took little longer to load so I assumed it loads them all every 700 of them. Doesn't stuck if you have Gallery avatar disabled though. What happened after is that once avatars were loaded, attempt to apply it resulted in request timing out and pinging the server shows 100% packet loss. They flagged instantly after loading those avatars. If there is something like loading one by one like a smaller slideshow or something I believe this could be resolved. And yeah it seems to load gallery avatars even if you did not clicked on them on drop down menu. Loads slow, shows all gallery images then it goes back to normal, in my case remote avatar.

But once again, this is not much of a phpbb issue. It's more about good number of hosts tend to block people if there are too many connections and requests due to their "security" reasons.

Nikola.
Life would be better for everyone if Neurotypicals were honest with one another instead of dropping hints and beating around the bush.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: Gallery Avatars issue

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

This is what the categories feature is for in the Gallery -- allows you to break up your 1000 ( :!: ) images into groups of 100 or so.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

NikolaCR

Post by NikolaCR »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:This is what the categories feature is for in the Gallery -- allows you to break up your 1000 ( :!: ) images into groups of 100 or so.
Can you please rephrase? What do you mean by category feature? I already am using that category and I filled it in with images for that category. I can't put cars into animal category though. If you get my point. But as said, this is not much of a phpbb issue, jsut loading whole thing when you click on edit avatar that is. Good number of host tend to block users IP by accessing to avatar settings in acp due to loading all those pics before time or wanting to use say remote ones, gallery ones loads regardless.

Nikola.
Life would be better for everyone if Neurotypicals were honest with one another instead of dropping hints and beating around the bush.

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader

Post by Marc »

What A_Jelly_Doughnut was saying is that you can have subfolders in your images/avatars/gallery folder. That way you can split things up and do not have to load 1000 images per page.

NikolaCR

Post by NikolaCR »

Well, I said I do have other folders. I even made Animals 1, Animals 2, Animals 3 and Animals 4 to have 1000/4=250 images. However, despite folders and subfolders, phpbb is loading them all when you click here. As you can see, I am using remote avatar feature not gallery avatars one. Despite my settings being set to remote, phpbb loads them all which will result in blocking people out from hosts firewall in most of cases. To make it simpler for you. You want to change your remote avatar to other remote avatar; what happens is that you get blocked because phpbb loaded gallery avatars despite you never opened them in dropdown menu.

Nikola.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

This is also, as you have said, not a phpBB issue. If your forum is on a host that won't let you display thousands of images at once, then break it up into smaller galleries. Your users will also appreciate it.
Has an irascible disposition.

NikolaCR

Post by NikolaCR »

Hello, I was digging more around this. And also VSE, I said its area51 not my forums.
Any case, It does same without gallery images. Very often, I am now 100% positive that this is a bug from phpbb side. Because it often asks me to Enter "EMAIL" when trying to put remote avatar. Why do I need an email for it? Problem is with gravatar being listed first I believe. Very often it asks for email despite I switch on remote avatar. I noticed this on actual phpbb forums, area51 and on my forums. No extensions running. Kindly look around the code and monitor the behaviour and try to reproduce it.

Nikola.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Then...report it to the tracker? Writing a topic/post here on the Area 51 forums does nothing to resolve any issues/bugs you may find.

NikolaCR

Post by NikolaCR »

Did. Thanks.