Lost email address ?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Lost email address ?

Post by DavidIQ »

Also this statement is incorrect and makes no sense:
_Chris_ wrote:Yep, but verification initially goes to the original email address first, of course.
There is no verification of the email once you change it through your user profile. The user password is required for that change and once changed there is no email sent to either the previous email address or current email address. It would make no sense to send an email to the old account anyways.

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

I am the administrator of the forum, and every once in a while I get a request, from a user to say that they can't get access to their previous email address and want a new one to be activated. The trouble is, they could be anybody saying that!

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

DavidIQ wrote:Also this statement is incorrect and makes no sense:
_Chris_ wrote:Yep, but verification initially goes to the original email address first, of course.
It makes perfect sense in my scenario.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

_Chris_ wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:Also this statement is incorrect and makes no sense:
It makes perfect sense in my scenario.
Sure but the software doesn't do that. The user can simply log in, go to their profile, change their email, enter their password, and done. Not sure why they're contacting you for that unless you've added code to make verification required for email changes.

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

Aaaah, that's it then, I think I remember one of the coders doing this mod a few years ago. I'll have to change it back.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

Khaos-Rage wrote:https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rs_manage/

See the Email Section
Thanks, but can't see anything there that helps on this.

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

Just a thought, is there something in the acp that would remove the need to still have access to the previous email address?

_Chris_

Post by _Chris_ »

Okay, have done some digging around in the pages for the forums, and the MOD that is causing this, is:
// EMAIL DoubleCheck MOD
$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
'ACCOUNT_EMAIL_CHANGED_DC' => 'Your account has been updated. However, this board requires double verification on both of your e-mail to accept changes. An activation key has been sent to the new e-mail address and the old e-mail address. Please check your e-mails for further information. If you have any problem, or you lost your old mail contact a board administrator.',

I had the doublecheck mod installed a couple of years ago, but the big problem I'm finding is that quite a few users don't have access to their previous email address. That MOD needs to be deleted/reversed, so that users can change their email address via their profile with just their user name and password and no need to have access to their previous email address. * removed *

Any help really appreciated.
Last edited by marian0810 on Sat May 23, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: solicitation removed