Area51 MediaWiki Integration

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Ectoman

Area51 MediaWiki Integration

Post by Ectoman »

I recently upgraded my phpBB install to version 3.1.3, and unfortunately my MediaWiki Single Sign on integration no longer works due to how phpBB changed the way its underlying system has changed.

I have noticed that Area51's Mediawiki integration continues to work with the current version of phpBB. Would it be possible for the devs to post their Mediawiki Integration code? I suspect it is something rather simple, but I am not familiar with anything in the new phpBB codebase. The standard

Code: Select all

$user = new user();
Is no longer present in 3.1.3.

Ectoman

Re: Area51 MediaWiki Integration

Post by Ectoman »

I guess I posted a little hastily. I was able to get the MediaWiki Single Sign on extension working for phpBB 3.1.3. It only required a few tweaks, and actually phpBB didn't change very much at all!

I have updated the code located on the MediaWiki Wiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... le_Sign-On

I'd still be interested in seeing how phpBB integrated it though, as it may be done in a more proper manner.

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Actually it's not integrated at all here ;)
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

I know there isn't any phpBB specific code on the Area51 forums for the Mediawiki, but the MediaWiki itself probably looks at phpBB sessions and decides how to handle logins on MediaWiki. I'm mostly interested in the custom code / extension on the MediaWiki that was used.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Ectoman wrote:I know there isn't any phpBB specific code on the Area51 forums for the Mediawiki, but the MediaWiki itself probably looks at phpBB sessions and decides how to handle logins on MediaWiki. I'm mostly interested in the custom code / extension on the MediaWiki that was used.
But it's no integrated here ;)
-Jonah

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

jsebean wrote:
Ectoman wrote:I know there isn't any phpBB specific code on the Area51 forums for the Mediawiki, but the MediaWiki itself probably looks at phpBB sessions and decides how to handle logins on MediaWiki. I'm mostly interested in the custom code / extension on the MediaWiki that was used.
But it's no integrated here ;)
I think what the OP meant was Mediawiki is integrated with our phpBB install on http://www.phpbb.com (Which it is).

They way it's integrated is rather complex and non-ideal (at the very least certainly not 'done in a more proper manner' as you say) due to the fact the wiki and phpbb.com are on different servers, use different databases etc.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Thanks for the info MichaelC.

Still kind of interested to see how it was done, but if it isn't an ideal then the extension I linked to at the MediaWiki Wiki works fairly well.

TWEagle

Post by TWEagle »

I am also interested about how you guys have integrated mediawiki with phpbb

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

I know this is an old topic, but I have created a new extension that handles Mediawiki 1.25+ and pretty much any version of phpBB 3.1 / 3.2.

Working well on phpBB 3.2.5 and MediaWiki 1.32!

https://github.com/multidimension-al/phpbbauth