Provide clickable url for the phpbb-dev channel

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Dragosvr92

Provide clickable url for the phpbb-dev channel

Post by Dragosvr92 »

The channel is only listed/provided on the area51 home page as simple text without a clickable url.
Its also listed inside the [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-coding]#phpBB-Coding channel[/url] channel.

But why not also list it on the https://www.phpbb.com/support/irc/ page?
The page stands for phpbb support.... But all two channels listed there have a descriptions on what they stand for.
So i believe the [url]irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev[/url] url should be added on both of these pages. Area51 index and the irc help page.

I only use irc with with the ChatZilla irc addon for ff as its faster and if any web users need to access the channels by url, they should be able to.
If they use mirc or whatever programs, they can add the channel name and whatever needed settings themselves, but we should have an url.. :)
Previous user: TheKiller

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Provide clickable url for the phpbb-dev channel

Post by DavidIQ »

Pretty sure you've brought this up already and one of us told you "no"?

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

DavidIQ wrote:Pretty sure you've brought this up already and one of us told you "no"?
So i said to better explain it here, and if you dont agree with that, then you could at least agree with the first line.

Which is this: "The channel is only listed/provided on the area51 home page as simple text without a clickable url. "
Dont think its asking too much to add a simple link over an existing text to make it easier for web irc users.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

The thing is, and is what was already explained to you, #phpbb-dev is not for support. It is specifically for phpBB development. The link you've supplied quite clearly specifies the listed channels are support channels both for phpBB in general and for coding of styles, MODs, and extensions. That some have been using #phpbb-dev more for support, going against what is stated in the channel topic, doesn't make it a support channel.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Fine, but you didnt read my first and last replies properly..... Can we at least add a link on the area51 index page?
The channel name is already mentioned in there. All i say is to add the link on it. I dont know if ChatZilla has an option to add and save channels, but ive been just joining channels by clicking their links. #phpbb and #phpbb-Codding are linked on that page. But the #phpbb-dev channel isnt linked anywhere.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

dont know if ChatZilla has an option to add and save channels
It does, you can autoload them when it starts up. Once opened click on IRC and then "Open this channel at startup". You can also set them to join automagically under the preferences and on freenode click on the lists tab click add and in the input area put "/join #phpbb-dev".
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Dragosvr92 wrote:Fine, but you didnt read my first and last replies properly..... Can we at least add a link on the area51 index page?
The channel name is already mentioned in there. All i say is to add the link on it. I dont know if ChatZilla has an option to add and save channels, but ive been just joining channels by clicking their links. #phpbb and #phpbb-Codding are linked on that page. But the #phpbb-dev channel isnt linked anywhere.
I failed at reading comprehension it seems...

BTW apart from what Rich just said the change has already been made a few hours ago but the server hasn't picked up that commit yet. It'll be live at some point however.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

thanks for the steps Rich, i still just prefer to know where the url is and go there to click it and join.
Its what every Chatzilla beginners would prefer. David, thanks for adding the change. its still not live yet.