Change "can email user" to No after registration

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
mrgtb

Change "can email user" to No after registration

Post by mrgtb »

When a person joins the forum for first time. The default setting for emailing user is set to Yes. I want to request that it be changed to No by default on new registrations. The user changes it to Yes themselves later on if wanting to receive emails.
Snap1.png
A few reason why it would be best set to No. Spammers joining using free throw away email addresses... that other users could be sending emails to it. A user doesn't check after joining that "default" is they get emails when not wanting them. Also, if the board has been set-up to not use "sending emails via board" and not hiding email address. Then users email address is going be exposed on their profile page. So it would be best just having that setting as default set, No - after registration. Put the onus instead on a user enabling receiving emails. They can still get PM's in meantime anyway as a way of Personal Messaging.

Pony99CA

Re: Change "can email user" to No after registration

Post by Pony99CA »

One way to achieve this is to have the Admin make sure that the Registered Users group permission for Can send e-mails is set to No. Of course, that would prevent any normal user from sending any E-mail, but that's a reasonable default.

If that's not the setting in a default installation of phpBB, then it probably should be.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.