[RFC] Automated Updating

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] Automated Updating

Post by MichaelC »

This got brought up in another topic and since I posted this I do agree that background updates without the user there are a bad idea.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1 for the idea in general.

However as previously stated, for #1 the "install" should be initiated by the admin. If something does go wrong with the update (for whatever reason), at least the admin (or someone on the team) is aware and can deal with the situation.

Ditto the comment for #4, admins should always be notified of updates.

I particularly like this one (quote below). That way the admin doesn't have to wait for the download... Everything is ready:
I would propose the default option selected would be #2 (Download but don't install).

exx8

Auto-Update

Post by exx8 »

Hi there,
I thought to suggest an auto-update system which will auto update every time a new version is released.
The system will be one of the tasks in the schedule system.
To avoid a hostile mega-attack against every phpbb board that exists,every patch will be signed electronically(There are algorithm for that).
The keys won't be present on the servers, and not on one computer, but chunks of it will be shared across the developers.
Every year, an update will update the keys.
Users will be able to disable those updates, though my model is far more secured than an human-made update.
The system will split the updates, so if for any reason, the script collapsed, The system would be able to continue from wherever it had stopped.
The system will give phpbb boards a very sensitive immune system, in which any security bug that is found, is spread within less than a day through out the whole network.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Re: Auto-Update

Post by Noxwizard »

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Just look at Microsoft.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

It would be nice to see this moving again if someone is willing to pick up the actual development of it.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

DarkBeing wrote:-1
Just look at Microsoft.
+1, look at literally anyone else doing it. Just because Microsoft got it wrong fifteen years ago doesn't make it a bad idea.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Yeah and they haven't learned anything from it, as was recently proven again. As interesting as the idea might be, I do not see phpBB to have the manpower to fix a screw-up via auto-update in a reasonable time, regardless of the current high skill-level Dev-Team. I am not convinced that this is a good idea for phpBB.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

DarkBeing wrote:Yeah and they haven't learned anything from it, as was recently proven again. As interesting as the idea might be, I do not see phpBB to have the manpower to fix a screw-up via auto-update in a reasonable time, regardless of the current high skill-level Dev-Team. I am not convinced that this is a good idea for phpBB.
It doesn't look like you bothered looking at actual facts since we turned over pl1 for 3.0.13 in less than 5 days. Plus you're comparing an OS that is used in over a billion systems around the world with many different configurations to forum software that is used a tiny fraction in comparison.

Auto-update would work just fine and most forum owners would welcome it so +1

This is a duplicate of the topic Noxwizard pointed at so I'll merge the two.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

Well, I am open for a positive surprise.