[RFC] Extension to fall back to en lang

Discuss requests for comments/changes posted in the Issue Tracker for the development of phpBB. Current releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3/Proteus.
RMcGirr83

Re: [RFC] Extension to fall back to en lang

Post by RMcGirr83 »

MichaelC wrote:ISTs do have extensions and customisations posted on them and not all will have an English language pack, as might those on international 3rd party sites or developed by individuals/organisations for other usage.
True but they do have a default lang setup on the forum. Is it possible to add a default lang entry in composer? Will Symphony understand that?
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

We should default to board lang and then english. Maybe we could add a default lang for the extension itself but it will be done in the ext.php file, not in the composer file. We shouldn't add too many things to this file which is unrelated to phpBB, I think that it shouldn't contain any data used only when the extension is enabled.
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

leschek

Post by leschek »

As non developer, but admin, I would like to be able to write "language queue". For example admin from Austria would be able to write de-at, de, de-x-sie, en and phpBB would look first for Austrian translation and then German (Casual Honorifics), German (Formal Honorifics) and English if it doesn't find it. The same happen with other languages. For example I as Czech would like to see first Czech (board default) translation, then Slovak, because it is similar language and last would be English translation.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Everything language related falls back from the user's lang, to the board's default, then to "en". So these email templates and style files in extensions simply need to be included in this process, for consistent behavior.
Has an irascible disposition.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

^ agreed.

tct

Post by tct »

+1
I'm Vietnamese so I'm not good in speaking English!!!

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
MichaelC wrote:ISTs do have extensions and customisations posted on them and not all will have an English language pack, as might those on international 3rd party sites or developed by individuals/organisations for other usage.
True but they do have a default lang setup on the forum. Is it possible to add a default lang entry in composer? Will Symphony understand that?
Yes, you can put it in extra although Tristan is correct and using ext.php for this might be more appropriate (Perhaps setting a class constant or a method to return a string for the language).
Nicofuma wrote:We should default to board lang and then english. Maybe we could add a default lang for the extension itself but it will be done in the ext.php file, not in the composer file. We shouldn't add too many things to this file which is unrelated to phpBB, I think that it shouldn't contain any data used only when the extension is enabled.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Lapsed on this one. Ticket need to be created I take it?
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Yes please
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »