[RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
Post Reply
User avatar
mrgtb
Registered User
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by mrgtb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:51 pm

Read this news on BBC yesterday, after this October, 2014 Live messenger is no more, gone for good. So yes Windows Live messenger should now be removed. Personally I would remove these for good with it.

AOL
ICQ
Yahoo
Jabber

Funny enough... this same discussion about most of those fields (which is hard-coded in a lot of forum software) still, was had on another forum software site. The vast majority of members felt same way, they are too old and nobody really uses them anymore. A throw back from forums in the early 90's when they was popular things to use, but not today anymore. The Yahoo one cracks me up because I don't even allow yahoo.com and yahoo.co.uk to register on my forum, only spammers use yahoo email address

User avatar
Louis7777
Registered User
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:32 am

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Louis7777 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:17 pm

mrgtb wrote:Read this news on BBC yesterday, after this October, 2014 Live messenger is no more, gone for good. So yes Windows Live messenger should now be removed.
You should better create a ticket for this, otherwise it may be forgotten.

User avatar
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 am
Location: Hollister, CA
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:21 am

mrgtb wrote:Read this news on BBC yesterday, after this October, 2014 Live messenger is no more, gone for good. So yes Windows Live messenger should now be removed. Personally I would remove these for good with it.

AOL
ICQ
Yahoo
Jabber
Jabber is allowed for subscription notifications, so I can't see removing that.

The others should optional, of course (having check boxes to show or hide them). Some older boards may well have users that use those services, so don't remove them completely.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

User avatar
spello
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:13 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by spello » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:10 pm

One thing needs to be improved. Custom contact profile fileds should have ability to add its icon. Currently all custom contact fields that are set to be displayed on topic page have the same icon which is confusing. There is no way to change that picture.

For example, I have added three additional contact profile fields that I'd like to display on view-topic, but all of them have the same icon. As I said before, it IS really confusing... I have no ability to change it.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Because of how the icons are added to viewtopic it is rather complicated to assign them when creating cpf's. This is because the images are actually in the background of the rendered cpf and come from CSS classes. If you have suggestions on how you think it could be done then by all means we're all ears. :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
spello
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:13 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by spello » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Couldn't it be done by adding additional inputbox called "icon" where path to file with an image should be placed? And that icon would be displayed in viewtopic instead of the default one.

Changing css without touching it is available - by using javascript with document.body.style. property.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Changing the background image through JavaScript sounds like a terrible idea, no offense. Probably better to just add an inline style on generation of the cpf's that overrides the background image. Setting the icon would be a matter of providing a dropdown list of all available icons present in the icons directory.
Image

User avatar
Volksdevil
Registered User
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:17 pm
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Have to agree about the inability to add icons to go along with custom fields. I couldn't think of a way to do it, so hard coded it https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13808251

But surely we could just have the ability to enter the path to an image? Like for the forum images? Maybe even have a box to specify dimensions with 20x20 as default.

User avatar
Mess
Registered User
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by Mess » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Volksdevil wrote:Have to agree about the inability to add icons to go along with custom fields. I couldn't think of a way to do it, so hard coded it https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13808251

But surely we could just have the ability to enter the path to an image? Like for the forum images? Maybe even have a box to specify dimensions with 20x20 as default.
+1

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Modern profile fields in 3.1

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:18 pm

Mess wrote:
Volksdevil wrote:Have to agree about the inability to add icons to go along with custom fields. I couldn't think of a way to do it, so hard coded it https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p13808251

But surely we could just have the ability to enter the path to an image? Like for the forum images? Maybe even have a box to specify dimensions with 20x20 as default.
+1
I'd rather have:
DavidIQ wrote:...
Setting the icon would be a matter of providing a dropdown list of all available icons present in the icons directory.
than have the administrators enter a path to the icon. This is also an issue with how the forum icons are set mind you.
Image

Post Reply