Make "Restore permissions" link more visible

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
leschek

Make "Restore permissions" link more visible

Post by leschek »

In phpBB 3.0 was "Restore permission" link visible on header. Now in phpBB 3.1 it is hidden under users name menu (where the UCP link is) and it is not easy to find, if you don't know where it is, so I propose to move it back where it was before.

Pony99CA

Re: Make "Restore permissions" link more visible

Post by Pony99CA »

Do many people even use ability to browse with other people's permissions? If so, maybe have a pop-up message saying where to find the "restore" link with a "Don't show this again" checkbox.

I certainly don't think that it needs to be in the header when it's likely not used much.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for reply

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

I think that it could be a good idea to show clearly that the admin is using someone else permissions, maybe with an overlay or an headband at the top of the forum (and on each page, including the acp).
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

leschek

Post by leschek »

leschek wrote:Thank you for reply
I sent the post accidentally, so my answers are here:
Pony99CA wrote:Do many people even use ability to browse with other people's permissions?
I'm not sure how many people and how often use it. I sometimes do.
Pony99CA wrote:I certainly don't think that it needs to be in the header when it's likely not used much.
Why not? No one, but person who needs to restore permissions, sees it, so there is not harm to have it, is it?
Pony99CA wrote: If so, maybe have a pop-up message saying where to find the "restore" link with a "Don't show this again" checkbox.
I guess this would work too.
Nicofuma wrote:I think that it could be a good idea to show clearly that the admin is using someone else permissions, maybe with an overlay or an headband at the top of the forum (and on each page, including the acp).
+1

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Yes. In 3.0 it wasn't uncommon for users to not realize they were using another user's permissions and wonder why they couldn't see their private forums or whatever. And that was with the link showing.

I'd also like to see some sort of banner ala the "Forum Rules" box.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I kind of like the banner JIRA shows to provide notice of being in administration mode and a quick way to leave it.
Attachments
jira_admin.png
(40.05 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

If you have a banner, you could have a Restore permissions link there, too. I would have an X in the banner to close it (to free up screen space) and keep a Restore permissions link in the user menu, too.

The reason that I'm against the link in the header is based on the presumption that it was moved to the menu for a reason (possibly for responsive reasons?). But if you have a closeable banner, you get the best of both worlds.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Also, as this is permissions testing, it should be as reliable as possible to using other person's permissions in full terms of look and feel. So it should be limited to really minor changes to the UI, just enough for the user to know he's using other person's permissions.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking when I moved it inside the dropdown. Definitely a mistake ;).