Profile-Tooltip

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
kessa

Profile-Tooltip

Post by kessa »

I thought that it would be nice, if a tooltip appeared when the mouse goes over a user's name. The tooltip will have of course a different style (no so simple like "title" in html) and will load some informations from the user's profile, like his avatar, name, location, if he is online/offline etc..
I made an example here: Image

Jessica.

Re: Profile-Tooltip

Post by Jessica. »

I think that's better off an extension. There's no need for this in core...

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

+1 to have it in the core.

Facebook, Google Plus + YouTube have made this feature popular so nowadays people worldwide may have reasonable expectations to expect something to happen when they mouse hover over a username.

IPB has had it for a long time and it's a forum software responsible for quite a lot of forums out there => people will see this feature on quite a lot of forums => people will come asking for it here.

It's a feature that doesn't actively consume any screen space and doesn't distract users from the content.

It's a social feature that will help towards building better profiles and friends system in phpBB. Having the username + avatar + link to profile on the navbar was the first step. The "Profile-Tooltip" commonly has a friend request button that would really drive the friends system.

And it's a very cool thing to have.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

Extension +1

Core -1

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I'm torn. While it's kind of cool, I'd also hate to be scrolling through a page and have my cursor accidentally end up on a link and have that pop up. It would be like those super annoying text link pop-up land mines (remember those Vibrant Media In-Text links?).

Given that, I'd lean toward extension. Of course, if it's put in the core, it should definitely be off by default and have an ACP to turn it on and a UCP option to turn if it off if it's on in the ACP.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

This would have to be done with AJAX, because you don't want to retrieve all the avatars and user info of every single username included on a page. So the info would only be requested on demand.

It could definitely start out as an extension.
Pony99CA wrote:I'm torn. While it's kind of cool, I'd also hate to be scrolling through a page and have my cursor accidentally end up on a link and have that pop up. It would be like those super annoying text link pop-up land mines (remember those Vibrant Media In-Text links?).
We have a thing for that. It's called hover intent. ;)

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

Extension!
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Mess

Post by Mess »

+1 to extension.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

PayBas wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I'm torn. While it's kind of cool, I'd also hate to be scrolling through a page and have my cursor accidentally end up on a link and have that pop up. It would be like those super annoying text link pop-up land mines (remember those Vibrant Media In-Text links?).
We have a thing for that. It's called hover intent. ;)
From that page:
However, instead of calling the handlerIn function immediately, hoverIntent waits until the user's mouse slows down enough before making the call.
If I'm scrolling, technically the mouse pointer isn't moving at all (relative to the browser window, not the text displayed). Is that still handled properly?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage »

Pony99CA wrote:If I'm scrolling, technically the mouse pointer isn't moving at all (relative to the browser window, not the text displayed). Is that still handled properly?
Just tried this out a little and it does fine. It opens if stop scrolling and the mouse is on the button, but it takes a second for it to do so. So I don't think you could accidentally click or open anything you didn't want to.