Remove Bookmarking

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Alien_Time

Remove Bookmarking

Post by Alien_Time »

In 3.1, Bookmarking topics seems to work exactly the same way as Subscribing topic. Why do we need bookmark anymore? It seems redundant. 2 things doing the same tasks but on different names.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Remove Bookmarking

Post by DavidIQ »

They are not the same even though they share some functionality on the notifications side. You can have emails for all subscribed topics/forums while you can have notifications for bookmarks and vice-verse or no notifications at all for bookmarks. If you got rid of bookmarks you'd lose this ability to separate the types of notifications and tracking you want to do for each.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

oh okay.. separating the notification preferences seems like the main benefit having them 2 then. I understand now...

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

You might also want to read my Allow Bookmarking Posts RFC for a way to make bookmarks even more useful.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pico88

Post by Pico88 »

The notifictions for bookmarks should be disabled by default - that will make them different from subscriptions at first sight. ;-)