Allow Bookmarking Posts

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

Allow Bookmarking Posts

Post by Pony99CA »

While bookmarking topics is a great feature, if the topic is many pages long, and the information that you want is in the middle, it would be very useful to bookmark specific posts. This could be done with a little bookmark icon next to the Report and Edit Post icons.

In fact, maybe we should only bookmark posts. If somebody chooses the Bookmark Topic item in the topic settings menu, that could basically bookmark the first post in the topic. (If we did that, there would need to be some conversion process to convert current topic bookmarks to post bookmarks, of course.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Mess

Re: Allow Bookmarking Posts

Post by Mess »

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe even add an option to name/categorize the bookmarks.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

-1 on this. All you have to do is click the *post* title, and bookmark it in your browser. You now have yourself a bookmark, problem solved. :P

No need to reimplement features that are already in your browser. Then again, I don't even use the bookmark topic for the same reason. :lol:
-Jonah

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Sounds like an extension to me ;).

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

jsebean wrote:-1 on this. All you have to do is click the *post* title, and bookmark it in your browser. You now have yourself a bookmark, problem solved. :P

No need to reimplement features that are already in your browser. Then again, I don't even use the bookmark topic for the same reason. :lol:
I think that last sentence says it all -- you don't use phpBB bookmarks. For people who do use phpBB bookmarks, bookmarking posts would be great.

Can you use your browser's bookmark feature? Of course. However, that can balloon your list of bookmarks in the browser. Plus, unless you use a bookmark syncing feature, your bookmarks are tied to that browser, while phpBB bookmarks are available no matter what browser you're using.

Also, you can now get notifications when bookmarked topics are updated. Try that if the bookmark is in your browser. ;)

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

PayBas wrote:Sounds like an extension to me ;).
Only if you want it in phpBB 3.1. For phpBB 3.2, it should be considered for the core.

Steve

Kiweed

Post by Kiweed »

nice ..... we have some topics 300+ posts long and if i bookmark it now i dont know why the hell i did in the first place when its on page 13

just an example in how it could be useful

:)

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

It is implied that each post would have an additional button or something (next to the edit/quote/etc buttons). I'm not sure this is something we would want to do in the core.

But like I said, I think this might be useful as an extension.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Pony99CA wrote:
jsebean wrote:-1 on this. All you have to do is click the *post* title, and bookmark it in your browser. You now have yourself a bookmark, problem solved. :P

I think that last sentence says it all -- you don't use phpBB bookmarks. For people who do use phpBB bookmarks, bookmarking posts would be great.

Can you use your browser's bookmark feature? Of course. However, that can balloon your list of bookmarks in the browser. Plus, unless you use a bookmark syncing feature, your bookmarks are tied to that browser, while phpBB bookmarks are available no matter what browser you're using.

Also, you can now get notifications when bookmarked topics are updated. Try that if the bookmark is in your browser. ;)

Steve
For notifications, why not just subscribe?
-Jonah

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

PayBas wrote:It is implied that each post would have an additional button or something (next to the edit/quote/etc buttons). I'm not sure this is something we would want to do in the core.
It was not implied -- I stated it outright:
This could be done with a little bookmark icon next to the Report and Edit Post icons.
I'm not sure how much clearer I could have made that. ;)
PayBas wrote:But like I said, I think this might be useful as an extension.
And, as I said, it obviously would have to be an extension for phpBB 3.1 (unless a 3.1.x release can add some new functions). But for the future, it makes sense to be in the core. It's not something outside the scope of forum software (like calendars or blogs), you don't lose any capabilities from adding it, it shouldn't make the board any less responsive, so what's the downside of adding it to the core?

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.