Repeating topic title in each post..

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.

Should the subject line be removed from post-replies?

Yes please. No need to enlarge the db with repeating text.
57%
No thanks, I prefer it the way it is now.
43%

Total votes: 47

mrgtb

Re: Repeating topic title in each post..

Post by mrgtb »

I started a test topic to show it happening.

https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... =7&t=46127

globetrotting

Post by globetrotting »

Repeating the topic title within a thread (without Re:) makes much sense for me - it reminds users of the topic's subject and on my board off-topics are not welcomed.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

globetrotting wrote:Repeating the topic title within a thread (without Re:) makes much sense for me - it reminds users of the topic's subject and on my board off-topics are not welcomed.
Yeah... After seeing the same title the first 15 times I see how someone might forget :? [/sarcasim]

Note: Don't take this personal... It's geared toward me not agreeing with the repeating topic function - not you.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I've added a poll...
Previous user: TheKiller

Martian

Leave the post title alone!

Post by Martian »

mrgtb wrote:It would be a good idea to remove the "RE:TOPIC TITLE" in further posts after the first one. When you moderate and split posts to start a new thread with, you end up having to also edit each post title renaming it (to new thread title), otherwise you have a new thread with one title and all posts moved to it showing a different title. That makes splitting posts from threads to start a new one with a pain really, which wouldn't happen if the RE: TOPIC TITLE didn't get displayed after first post.
To solve this, instead of removal of post titles, I would rather suggest that an option is added to the Moderator CP to automatically change the post titles to match the new topic title of the topic the posts are moved to.

Showing or hiding post titles could also be added as an option to the Admin CP and the User CP.

I don't agree on the complete removal of post titles from phpbb. For me and many others it is useful for various reasons. For example, contrary to you, when I split posts to start a new thread with, I don't feel I end up having to also edit each post title renaming it. Generally, I actually find it useful to be able to see where the posts are coming from. When I split/move posts I also post a message in the topic that I did so and link to the source topic. That way one can figure out the original context of a post. Another example is that post subjects can be used to indicate sub-subjects.

keith10456 wrote:
globetrotting wrote:Repeating the topic title within a thread (without Re:) makes much sense for me - it reminds users of the topic's subject and on my board off-topics are not welcomed.
Yeah... After seeing the same title the first 15 times I see how someone might forget :? [/sarcasim]

Note: Don't take this personal... It's geared toward me not agreeing with the repeating topic function - not you.
I am often multi-tasking and having open several pages, sometimes including several forum pages. In such cases I find it very useful that the subject title is immediately visible in every post.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Don't think you can remove the topic title thinking more about it. There are other areas where is get used on the forum and is needed, like when you search a members posts (via their profile) and topic titles is used in search results. Also gets used in RSS Feeds (RE:) is used in that as well. Also... If you send a post into twitter like I do on my forum having a "tweet this post" button displayed below every members ranks, again the topic title RE: is grabbed (which you need grabbed really) to show it's a reply and not a new topic (first post). There are a few things I've spotted like that since, making removing the topic title with (RE:) included a bit of no go really.

So I've actually changed my mind since seeing this. Think it should be left as is now.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

@mrgtb

the topic title for all of the references you made can easily be pulled from the database by id regardless of this change so it not really a determining factor.
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Ah, right.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

This was a feature that was added in phpBB3. phpBB2's behavior was to provide the user with a blank post title by default and the option to fill one in, except when quoting, when the quoted posts' title was filled in.
The basic change was to add the post title by default on reply.

I would not remove the field from the database. I wouldn't mind seeing the post title reduced in prominence or removed from prosilver entirely, provided that there was some visual indication that you'd transitioned between posts (that's the text's #1 usefulness currently IMO)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Please stop this madness! I vote NO! I like change but not this one ! And the post with long title didnt proove anything. In this forum how much topic's with long title did you see ? Or another forums....