Documentation

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Documentation

Post by callumacrae »

I've had to guess / ask loads of stupid questions about extensions in 3.1, and now I've got to $request->variable() and I'm having to read the RFC to know how it works.

Either more documentation needs to be written, or it needs to be easier to find.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: Documentation

Post by nickvergessen »

The doc blocks dont help?
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

You're joking, right?
My blog

Ger

Post by Ger »

callumacrae wrote:Either more documentation needs to be written, or it needs to be easier to find.
+1
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I'm not going to argue that documentation couldn't be improved (this is a FOSS project after all), but this thread seems quite unhelpful so far in identifying deficiencies. If the docblocks aren't helpful they should be fixed/removed as necessary.

phpbb\request::request::variable() seems straightforward to me. The interface is nearly the same as request_var() in 3.0, except now you can specify REQUEST/GET/POST/COOKIE instead of REQUEST/COOKIE only as in 3.0.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

callumacrae wrote: Either more documentation needs to be written, or it needs to be easier to find.
Sounds like it's time for an official "Documentation Team" :)
Has an irascible disposition.

M.Gaetan89

Post by M.Gaetan89 »

I agree with callumacrae.
I have started working on the new version of my website, based on phpBB 3.1. I don't know much about the source code of phpBB, and sometimes it's pretty hard to really know what the parameter are.
If it can help, I'd be glad to make a list of item that does not seem clear to me as I go on with my work.
The problem might be that the people who wrote the docblock knows the source code of phpBB, and thus understand more easily what they are tring to explain.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

The problem with having to rely on docblocks is that they only help if you already know the name of the function.
My blog