Change "Your Posts" to "My Posts"

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Jacob

Re: Change "Your Posts" to "My Posts"

Post by Jacob »

Pony99CA wrote:
John P wrote:It should be "Topics you started or reacted to"
No, I "react" to lots of topics that I never post to. ;) A better phrase would be "Topics you posted in", which would cover topics that you started.

Steve
Yep.

John P

Post by John P »

Pony99CA wrote: No, I "react" to lots of topics that I never post to. ;) A better phrase would be "Topics you posted in", which would cover topics that you started.

Steve
Much better :)

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

I prefer "Your Posts". I would also like a "Your Topics"

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Jessica. wrote:I prefer "Your Posts". I would also like a "Your Topics"
As I mentioned in the Your Topics Link in Quick Links topic, "Your Posts" really is "Your Topics" (unless you mean "Topics that you started"). I also described how to really get "Your Posts".

I'm not opposed to renaming "Your Posts" to be more accurate, but just changing "Your" to "My" seems way too nitpicky, especially as phpBB 3.0 has had "View your posts" for years (and maybe phpBB 2.0 before that).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

+1

"My Posts" is more appropriate.

However, I have a feeling that its not going to change because it's not that significant and it is one of those things where people feel like its always been like that (even though I personally disagree with it). Hence the reason on my site I changed the language file.

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

Pony99CA wrote:
Jessica. wrote:I prefer "Your Posts". I would also like a "Your Topics"
As I mentioned in the Your Topics Link in Quick Links topic, "Your Posts" really is "Your Topics" (unless you mean "Topics that you started"). I also described how to really get "Your Posts".

I'm not opposed to renaming "Your Posts" to be more accurate, but just changing "Your" to "My" seems way too nitpicky, especially as phpBB 3.0 has had "View your posts" for years (and maybe phpBB 2.0 before that).

Steve
Yeah that's what I meant...Your Topics = Topics that you started. that just seems so long so I used "Your Topics" instead..

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

How about we just get rid of the whole "you", "your", "my", "his", "her", "it's", etc. and just use "Topics posted in" (variation of what Steve said). This also covers https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 81&t=46045.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

tmbackoff wrote:How about we just get rid of the whole "you", "your", "my", "his", "her", "it's", etc. and just use "Topics posted in" (variation of what Steve said).
I don't see why should we. Possessive adjectives are important.

If you prefer the system 'talking' to you, as Louis7777 wrote, then it should be "Your Posts". This is my preference as well. If you consider yourself "embedded" in the software, you'd probaly prefer "My Posts". But the possessive is needed.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Jacob wrote:
tmbackoff wrote:How about we just get rid of the whole "you", "your", "my", "his", "her", "it's", etc. and just use "Topics posted in" (variation of what Steve said).
I don't see why should we. Possessive adjectives are important.

If you prefer the system 'talking' to you, as Louis7777 wrote, then it should be "Your Posts". This is my preference as well. If you consider yourself "embedded" in the software, you'd probaly prefer "My Posts". But the possessive is needed.
@ Jacob - Correct... ;-)

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

"Welcome, Louis."
"How are you today?"
"Let me show you your posts master..."
"Shall we play a game?"
"How about a nice game of thermonuclear war?"

:P