Improved 'Error' pages language

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Volksdevil

Improved 'Error' pages language

Post by Volksdevil »

Hi, apologies if this is already covered somewhere, I have searched but couldn't find anything.

I've noticed in RC2 that an incorrect address leads to a general information message like so:
Information

No route found for "GET /ExampleIncorrectPage.php"
Can I suggest a small language change to something like the following if even possible?
Information

No route found for "GET /ExampleIncorrectPage.php".
Please return to [SITENAME]. <!-- IF_SEARCH_ENABLED -->Or try the [SEARCH].<!-- ENDIF -->
[SITENAME] and [SEARCH] obviously linked to correct places. In fact, even phpbb.com itself suggests a 'Search' on error pages.

The language could be added to the 'Topic does not exist' and 'Forum does not exist' error messages too?
I've created custom error pages on my 3.0.12 site so I guess I'm just used to seeing a little more information than the current RC2 setup...

Pony99CA

Re: Improved 'Error' pages language

Post by Pony99CA »

It was discussed previously. See the Will 3.1 be handling it's own 404 pages? topic.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Ah, I wasn't searching for specific 404's...Cheers.

PS: I can't find the language for the 'Topic does not exist' and 'Forum does not exist' error messages, I'm sure they were previously in LANGUAGE/EN/COMMON.PHP?

Not sure whether to continue discussion here or in the linked topic as that's dealing with 404's only, whereas there are other possible errors to consider too?

Nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by Nicofuma »

Volksdevil wrote:PS: I can't find the language for the 'Topic does not exist'
NO_TOPIC: common.php line 512
Volksdevil wrote:and 'Forum does not exist' error messages,
This string does not exist in the project, and so is never displayed. But maybe you are talking about NO_FORUM: common.php line 492
Member of the phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM

Volksdevil

Post by Volksdevil »

Ah yes, thank you.

So is it possible to simply change:
'NO_FORUM' => 'The forum you selected does not exist.',

To:
'NO_FORUM' => 'The forum you selected does not exist.<br />Please return to [SITENAME]. <!-- IF_SEARCH_ENABLED -->Or try the [SEARCH].<!-- ENDIF -->',

And:
'NO_TOPIC' => 'The requested topic does not exist.',

To:
'NO_TOPIC' => 'The requested topic does not exist.<br />Please return to [SITENAME]. <!-- IF_SEARCH_ENABLED -->Or try the [SEARCH].<!-- ENDIF -->',

Although I know those language vars and the <IF> statements won't work like that/as simply as that. There are several more that could be improved too.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

If we did that we wouldn't put that sort of logic in a language file even though there would still need to be modifications to them. The logic would need to be wherever the language string is used. Either way changing language files, and especially common.php, is not likely to happen for now as that would cause problems for translators that have already completed their language packs.