Integration win wordpress?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Darkness_demoN

Integration win wordpress?

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Is there will be some sort of integration with wordpress in feature ?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: Integration win wordpress?

Post by DavidIQ »

Probably not something we will ever do in the core. An extension would be the way to go.

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

There was a mod (back when we called them that) that did just this, it worked well for a time but I think the mod author lost interest a little. The problem of course was that any software update from WordPress or phpBB often broke the mod completely. Because there were two upgrades to worry about every time it became a high maintenance mod for him to work on.

Wordpress may update for example on the Monday, by Wednesday his mod was working again only for phpBB to then possibly update on Thursday. It became a bit of a nightmare for him I think. Whether the new extension system would help with that I'm not sure but I guess it could still be a problem even though Wordpress have settled down a bit now and don't update quite as often as they once did.
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

Profo

Post by Profo »

There is another project called "WP United", which is supposed to integrate and run WP and phpBB altogether (same registration and users for both). But as NeilUK stated above, updates are a common problem with this kind of projects. It rarely uses the latest versions of both phpBB and WP (WP minor versions are released quite fast). This is an excerpt from their downloads page today:
Version: v0.9.2.8 Release Candidate 3
Released: 21 May 2014
Format: WordPress Plugin & phpBB MODX
Works with: WordPress 3.4.x & 3.5.x with phpBB 3.0.11
Note that current WP and phpBB versions are 3.9.1 and 3.0.12 respectively.

I personally wouldn't trust it for security reasons, but some people use it.
Feel free to check it out at your own risk: WP United Website.

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Profo wrote:There is another project called "WP United", which is supposed to integrate and run WP and phpBB altogether (same registration and users for both). But as NeilUK stated above, updates are a common problem with this kind of projects. It rarely uses the latest versions of both phpBB and WP (WP minor versions are released quite fast). This is an excerpt from their downloads page today:
Version: v0.9.2.8 Release Candidate 3
Released: 21 May 2014
Format: WordPress Plugin & phpBB MODX
Works with: WordPress 3.4.x & 3.5.x with phpBB 3.0.11
Note that current WP and phpBB versions are 3.9.1 and 3.0.12 respectively.

I personally wouldn't trust it for security reasons, but some people use it.
Feel free to check it out at your own risk: WP United Website.
Actually WP United was the software I was referring to, it was good for a while but it became very unstable and in my experience once phpbb reached 3.0.10 it became almost unusable. Wordpress was around 3.6 something when I uninstalled the mod. As Profo said I wouldn't use it now
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

spello

Post by spello »

The best thing that exist is WP phpBB Bridge, because there's absolutely NO need to touch phpBB. Just install this plugin on Wordpress and that's all! Love it :)