Quick Links

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
RMcGirr83

Re: Quick Links

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Kamahl19 wrote:I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.
QFT!
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Just do away with having them red and blue. Make them all blue to avoid confusion that people think red means new posts to be read. Because forum post icons in proSilver work on that principle.

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

As far as the 'your posts' are concerned, I always find myself clicking on my username and expecting it there on this webiste, I keep forgetting it's under 'quick links.' Maybe it would be better off there??

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

KurtisC wrote:As far as the 'your posts' are concerned, I always find myself clicking on my username and expecting it there on this webiste, I keep forgetting it's under 'quick links.' Maybe it would be better off there??
not really a justification, its been what a week?
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

hanakin wrote:
KurtisC wrote:As far as the 'your posts' are concerned, I always find myself clicking on my username and expecting it there on this webiste, I keep forgetting it's under 'quick links.' Maybe it would be better off there??
not really a justification, its been what a week?
For cosmetic changes, what justifications do you want and in what timeframe? Besides, it's a mere suggestion anyway.

This thread was opened yesterday.

Mess

Post by Mess »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.
QFT!
Agreed. Maybe a better option would be to use the same icon for all links as suggested. :)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Kamahl19 wrote:I dont understand why there are different icons. Why Your links has arrow, which other links dont have. Is "Your posts" somehow connected to arrow? If not it does not make sense to use arrow icon, it does not help users.

New and Unread posts have the same icon but they do 2 different functions. Thats strange.

I would remove all icons or use the same icons for all links because these different icons just dont make any sense to anyone.
I disagree. While the icons aren't dynamic, the red does indicate that it will find "red" topics/posts if there are any. So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find. Therefore they do make some sense to me. ;)

I don't know about the arrow for "Your posts", though.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

Pony99CA wrote:So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find. Therefore they do make some sense to me. ;)
That was the idea, yes.

As for the arrow icon: it was just a placeholder for a final icon. I didn't feel like designing new icons for the quick-links at the time (so I recycled existing icons). But nobody seemed to mind and there were no objections, and after a while I didn't even notice anymore.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Pony99CA wrote:While the icons aren't dynamic, the red does indicate that it will find "red" topics/posts if there are any. So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find.
A blue icon will do the same thing. I just find it odd looking. FWIW, the icons seem to be pretty worthless. There weren't any in 3.0.x.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

PayBas

Post by PayBas »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:While the icons aren't dynamic, the red does indicate that it will find "red" topics/posts if there are any. So the color shows what will be found, not whether there are any to find.
A blue icon will do the same thing. I just find it odd looking. FWIW, the icons seem to be pretty worthless. There weren't any in 3.0.x.
The icons are there to make the responsive content somewhat more uniform. See viewtopic.php?f=84&t=45679&start=160#p265651