LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Louis7777

Re: LIKE posts feature added in phpBB 3.1

Post by Louis7777 »

Facebook wouldn't be as much successful if they had dislikes. They want positive energy, not negativity.

And youtube promotes its like feature more.

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:Like without dislike is useless...
Facebook doesn't seem to agree.
Do not hire Christian Bullock he won't finish the job and will keep your money

Mess

Post by Mess »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Facebook doesn't seem to agree.
:D

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Louis7777 wrote:Facebook wouldn't be as much successful if they had dislikes. They want positive energy, not negativity.
Yet FB is in the news right now for purposely trying to make some 700,000 people unhappy. :shock:
Has an irascible disposition.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Not true. It gives some indication of how useful others have found a post. Not liking it can imply either "meh" or dislike, but either way, it's not liking it.

Saying "like without dislike is useless" Is sort of like saying "friends without foes is useless". As already mentioned, Facebook doesn't have "foes". You can unfriend somebody, but that's not quite the same.

Or consider elections. There are no "thumbs up"/"thumbs down" for candidates. You can only vote for a person or not vote for a person, but you can't negate somebody else's vote (you can effectively cancel their vote by voting for another candidate if it's a two person race, of course, but there's no "anybody but him" vote).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

Like only systems are a little jarring at first I've found, especially on forums that only point one way (positive). The upside is there's no enforced negativity of posts going into the negative, but the downer is unpopular posts don't get neg-repped and just left at '0' with the odd person in favour giving it a +1. It's not a huge problem though and most people with common sense understand that, I even think it's better when it's one way only but it did take a little getting used to.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

+1 to Pony99CA and KurtisC

(I would rather liked their posts without writing a new one, it takes much more time)

Weskey

Post by Weskey »

+1 for the feature.
I think only the like button would be more interesting.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I wouldn't be against just giving LIKES (dislikes cannot be done) if making the task of adding it into the core product much easier. As a forum can look a bit negative if you browse it and see loads of red - minus likes displayed on posts. Just so long as the ability to remove a LIKE on a post you give is still an option (you can remove your like given - as well as give them out). In a way that works as a negative.

KurtisC

Post by KurtisC »

In the meantime, there's a mod that I've implemented on my own forums;
Like Mod.

It provides users a means of adding a like, but it doesn't for removing them. This could be a good thing for the notifications as well for the 3.1 release, and also the total amount of 'likes' can be summed up in the users profile.

Can we find a different word than 'like' though? Am I the only one who doesn't really 'like' that word on its own?