[RFC] Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
BioLogIn

Re: Combine Related functionality (UI Cleanup)

Post by BioLogIn »

Talking about UI cleanup, maybe we should consider moving ' Mark forums read ' to navbar as well? To me it doesn't look nice when it hangs alone on the right side with no text around...

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

BioLogIn wrote:Talking about UI cleanup, maybe we should consider moving ' Mark forums read ' to navbar as well? To me it doesn't look nice when it hangs alone on the right side with no text around...
Outside the scope of this RFC but its been considered for a revamp
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

The problem highlighted by the PR resulting from this topic is that it did way too much all at once. This really should have been more piece by piece, allowing for more specific discussion on each part of the change, which might have resulted in a more successful result for all who care.

First the Username drop down should have been done.
Then grouping notifications and PMs with the username.
Then the Quicklinks menu.
Then adding/removing and making sense of the remaining items from the two navbars

it would have taken longer, and rightly so it should have taken longer ;)
Has an irascible disposition.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

^I disagree because 3.1 would ship and we'd still have the old navigation. Here are more reasons in favor of the navbar changes:

1. "Private messages [x]" didn't have a dropdown before. They don't have one now. So discussing about the dropdown that is missing after the changes took place, doesn't make any sense. Of course it is more obvious now that a feature is missing, because of the grouping, but the feeling that something was missing was there before too.

It is more obvious now because the focus is on those three links and because the navbar has been cleaned up. That was inevitable, in my opinion. No matter how much we would have discussed it.

2. Breadcrumbs have to be on their own line. What is there to discuss about that? So that leaves us with only one line to deal with all the links. Again, it was inevitable to happen, in my opinion.

3. The problem is obviously the "quick links" dropdown. So if we don't like it, we can get rid of it and place all those 4 links back on the index. The FAQ and "View your posts" will still be at the navbar like before.

So I don't see any big problem here.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Louis7777 wrote:^I disagree because 3.1 would ship and we'd still have the old navigation. Here are more reasons in favor of the navbar changes:

1. "Private messages [x]" didn't have a dropdown before. They don't have one now. So discussing about the dropdown that is missing after the changes took place, doesn't make any sense. Of course it is more obvious now that a feature is missing, because of the grouping, but the feeling that something was missing was there before too.

It is more obvious now because the focus is on those three links and because the navbar has been cleaned up. That was inevitable, in my opinion. No matter how much we would have discussed it.

2. Breadcrumbs have to be on their own line. What is there to discuss about that? So that leaves us with only one line to deal with all the links. Again, it was inevitable to happen, in my opinion.

3. The problem is obviously the "quick links" dropdown. So if we don't like it, we can get rid of it and place all those 4 links back on the index. The FAQ and "View your posts" will still be at the navbar like before.

So I don't see any big problem here.
I agree...

However, I really hope the nav bar don't get cluttered with all of those links again.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Louis7777 wrote:^I disagree because 3.1 would ship and we'd still have the old navigation.
They could have been added after 3.1 was officially released (phpBB 3.0 got quick-reply, for example, in the middle of its release cycle).

The point I was making had to do with making sure changes are not rushed, that changes are majority agreed upon and collaboration is at its highest. But most of all the point is that PRs that cover too much scope can be problematic because they can get held up for a very long time while each issue gets worked out, or pushed through before everything they do has had a chance to be fully ironed out before going live.

There was a lot of back and forth on this PR during it's month. However, had it been incremental changes, the good could have been pushed while the bad continued to get worked out, so to speak.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

FB has Help in footer, try to click on Help in header.

Also try to click on that Help in Gmail header. It does not display help page. You have to click on Terms and Privacy in footer and there is a link to Help page.

You are right about the Github, that was not a good example. However github has to have Help in footer because it is relatively difficult to use, not like phpbb forum which is used for 14 years.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Kamahl19 wrote:FB has Help in footer, try to click on Help in header.
Maybe its a country thing. Because for me, Facebook has no footer. Facebook is a lazy loader so it scrolls forever. The only thing pinned to FB footer is the Chatbox.

By the way, clicking those help links, opens up help options/utilities for me.

aleha

Post by aleha »

bonelifer wrote:Move "New posts" to the top of quick link and move "Your Posts" above Logout in the other menu.
I fully support that!

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 »

aleha wrote:
bonelifer wrote:Move "New posts" to the top of quick link and move "Your Posts" above Logout in the other menu.
I fully support that!
+1